Monday, March 5, 2012

Banana Bars A -Recipe from Aunt Vivian

I can't tell you how much I enjoy getting "snail mail" from "home"! We are living across the country from our parents, siblings and extended family, as I know many of you are, as well (and some of you are living countries away from your loved ones, bless your hearts!). When I wander out to the mail box each day to get what is usually junk mail and bills and find a letter or card in the mix, it makes my week special! (It also makes me feel guilty if I haven't sent anything out in a while to brighten my sons' or parents', etc.'s day.)
Last week I received a note from my Aunt Vivian (Mom's sister). I stopped in the middle of my day just to enjoy the photos she had sent and read her note. A bonus treat (in addition to that cute picture of her first great grand baby!) was the recipe she sent; another great way to use up ripe bananas! Mom gets the credit for mentioning to her that I would like to have this recipe.
My little chats with Mom (and joke-swapping with my dad) always make my week better. Our last "catch-up" conversation was about Aunt Vivian and Uncle Henry coming down (they live 5 miles from my parents) to go to the fish fry at the town's volunteer fire department with them. Vivian wanted to bring the dessert to have at Mom and Dad's place, later. Mom described it as a banana cake and said it was really good. I'm always on the hunt for recipes that use up those 2 or 3 ripe bananas that always seem to be left on my kitchen counter. As soon as I said, "I'd like to have that recipe, if she doesn't mind", Mom must have made a call, because it wasn't a long wait until I heard from my aunt; those two are efficient! Thanks to the "tag team" of Mom and Aunt Vivian, I'm able to share this wonderful and useful recipe with you. Have a great day and keep in touch with someone from "home"!


Aunt Vivian's Frosted Banana Bars
(originally from Karen Dryak from Niobrara, Nebraska: looks like a Taste of Home clipping 3/20/'96)

1/2 C butter or margarine, softened
2 C sugar
3 eggs
1 1/2 C mashed ripe bananas (about 3 medium)
1 tsp vanilla extract
2 C All-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
Pinch of salt

Frosting:
1/2 C butter or margarine, softened
1 pkg. (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened
4 C confectioner's sugar
2 tsp vanilla extract

In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugar. Beat in eggs, bananas and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking soda and salt; add to creamed mixture and mix well. Pour into greased 15-in. x 10-in. x 1-in. pan. Bake at 350 degrees for 25 minutes or until bars test done. Cool. For frosting, cream butter and cream cheese in a mixing bowl. Gradually add confectioner's sugar and vanilla; beat well. Spread over bars. Yield: 3 dozen.

Swaps:
This Chic Cooks
Feeding Four
Miz Helen's Country Cottage
Brambleberry Cottage
Everyday Tastes
Somewhat Simple

3 comments:

  1. Oh I can't wait to make these! Thank you so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday and I hope you'll stop back soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd be happy to share my recipe on your link party! Thanks for the invitation :0)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marcia,
    I made some Banana Bars the other day and I didn't care for the recipe. Your recipe looks a little better so I am going to try yours. Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Happy St. Patrick's Day and Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete