Thursday, January 10, 2013

Aunt Lena's Butterscotch Pie

This week's recipe is a goodie;  I remember eating this creamy, delicious pie in my Aunt Lena's tiny little kitchen (she had a bungalow-style home) in Sistersville, WV.  Aunt Lena was my Mammam's twin sister and I've written about her in previous posts.  My mom and dad recently sent me a box of Christmas surprises and this was one of the treasures in that box;  a yellowed envelope marked "Lena"-  full of hand-written recipes!  It brought back a lot of  fond memories of a very sweet lady.

Aunt Lena's Butterscotch Pie

2 C milk
1 1/4 C dark brown sugar
1/3 C flour
1/8 tsp salt
3 eggs
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 TBSP butter

Heat the milk to scalding in a double boiler;  blend sugar, flour and salt and add to the milk.  Stir until smooth and thick;  cover and cook for 15 to 20 minutes.  Separate eggs and beat the yolks.  Add the thick sauce, gradually, to the eggs;  stir until smooth.  Pour the mixture back into the double broiler and cook for 5 minutes.  Add vanilla and butter.  Pour into prepared pie crust.  cool at room temperature.  refrigerate any leftovers. (Ha!  Leftovers!)

Adventures in Texas:  Seen on signs (during December) in front of Mexican restaurants, convenience stores...and gas stations:   "Tamales Sold By The Dozen".  Yes, it's a Christmas food here!

Swaps:
Raising Homemakers
We are That Family
Deep Roots at Home

8 comments:

  1. I love butterscotch. I'd probably eat most of the pudding before I could get it into the pie shell!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooo, I love butterscotch and will have to make this. I am pretty sure I can make it gluten free.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my goodness! This sounds so delicious! Thank you so much for sharing it at "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." I hope you'll come back and join us again next week! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Marcia,
    Your Aunt Lenas Butterscotch Pie looks fabulous, we will just love it! Thank you so much for celebrating TWO YEARS with FULL PLATE THURSDAY, I appreciate your visit!
    Come Back Soon
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't had a butterscotch pie in years!!! This sounds like the one my mother use to make, but I never got her recipe. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I hope this is the same pie recipe as your Mama's! It is a very old recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  7.  Hi, great post. I found you through the blog hop. Please stop  by and say hi when you get a chance.  .Be sure and check out my new Blog Hop that started. It's Weekly Goals Link Up. It's a great way to stay on track. Have a great day. :) Now following you.  Here's the link for it if you would like to check it out.
    http://lenettacarnes.blogspot.com/2013/01/weekly-goals-linkup-1.html Lenetta

    ReplyDelete
  8. What a wonderful pie! Thanks so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete