Thursday, April 4, 2013

Southern Cakes 1947 from Arkansas

Since my last post I have relocated, well, make that semi-relocated.  We have sold our home (very quickly) in Texas and have moved into temporary housing while we house-hunt in Arkansas.  Although we will miss Texas, we're very excited about this new chapter in our life.  This location and job opportunity were too good to pass up!  I'm already in love with the Ozark Mountains that surround me;  it's so similar to West Virginia!  I've had the chance to search a couple of antique places here, and I'm happy to report that I've found an old cookbook, already.  A new place to live, for me, means researching its history and its food history, as well.  Look for my upcoming "Adventures in Arkansas" and snippets from vintage local cookbooks (as I find them).  This little red soft cover book was discovered in a Siloam Springs antique consignment shop (where I also found a rose Fiesta pitcher to match my set...for $12.00!!  Sorry, but I was so excited to find that deal;  there was also one in orange, but I only have the rose Fiesta.  The Selected Southern Cakes book was printed in 1947 by The Progressive Farmer.  Enjoy this traditional recipe from page 33:

One Egg Cake

1/3 C fat
2/3 C sugar
1 egg
 1/2 tsp vanilla
1/3 C light corn syrup
1 C milk
2 C flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp baking powder

Cream fat, and beat sugar in slowly.  Mix well.  Add beaten egg, vanilla, and stir well.  Blend syrup and milk.  Sift together dry ingredients and add alternately with liquid to first mixture.  Bake in greased square pan in moderate oven at 350 degrees for 1 hour, or in two greased 8-inch layer cake pans at same temperature for 30 minutes. Cool and frost.

Look forward to our guest post next time!
My next post will be a guest post by  Jack Meyers, writer of Nannybackgroundcheck.com.  Mr. Meyers contacted me and offered to do a guest post.  He asked me to choose some topics that might be of interest to my readers .  I think the topic he wrote about  is crucial to all child caregivers:  Ways to Protect Our Children form Negative Internet Circumstances.  I know that you will find his information helpful in protecting your children, grandchildren or any children in your home when they use the internet.

Swaps:
We are That Family
Raising Homemakers
Deep Roots at Home
Cuisine Kathleen
Rose Chintz Cottage



4 comments:

  1. Your recipe is awesome and thank you so much for sharing it at the table with Full Plate Thursday.
    Hope to see you again soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marcia, I love your recipe, and of course you know I love old cookbooks! My grandmother subscribed to Progressive Farmer for years and years- thanks for some great memories! :)

    Joy @ Yesterfood.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love finding old books like that too! This is such a neat recipe that I look forward to making. Thanks so much for sharing at mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds like a good recipe. There is just something about those old recipes. I have my grandmother's recipe book from when she was in middle school and it is simply chalk full of wonderful recipes. I have only tried a couple of them because many of them are very soiled from use. I'm thankful I have it however. It is a treasure! Thank you for sharing this with my HOME and have a beautiful day.

    Blesisngs,
    Sandi

    ReplyDelete