Monday, August 19, 2013

Fried Corn



Saturday mornings in NW Arkansas mean a trip to the local  farmers' market.  Bentonville has a wonderful market down on the square.  It's more than just people shopping for produce, it's a community get-together that takes place each Saturday.  Folks visit with neighbors, admire each others' dogs, and watch  the youthful energy exhibited by children as they play, eat ice cream... and also admire the dogs in the crowd.  The quality and variety of locally grown produce (meat and honey, too) is amazing!  Last week I even spotted gluten-free baked goods at one stand;  so there's something of interest to everyone.  Saturday-before-last I bought rhubarb to make a pie and some tomatoes that were almost a purple color.  When I asked about their unusual color, the seller informed us that they are Cherokee tomatoes.  They have a little bit of a tangier taste, but were great on hamburgers!  This week's purchases included tomatoes and the best green beans I've ever eaten.  I steamed those beans and then sauteed them with a little bit of bacon grease.    I saw a new type of corn that I wasn't familiar with, it's called Peaches and Cream corn...maybe next Saturday!

Here's a way to use up leftover ears of cooked corn.  We just love fried corn around here!

Sheila's Fried Corn
Using a large cast iron or non-stick skillet, melt butter (I use a heaping TBSP of Heart Smart).  Once skillet is hot enough to sizzle, cut cold corn off the cobs into skillet.  Make sure you scrape the milk from the cobs!  Salt and pepper to taste.  Fry until corn is hot through.  If you like Mexican corn, chop up some fresh garden peppers in there, too!  Enjoy! 

Book I'm reading:  Wicked:  The Life and Times of the Wicked Witch of the West by Gregory McGuire

SWAPS:
Simply Sweet Home
The Shabby Nest
My Romantic Home
Common Ground
The Charm of Home
Our Delightful Home
 

11 comments:

  1. I love corn, but never fried it. I'm looking forward to making this soon. Thanks for sharing at Mix it up Monday :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love fried corn! Thank you for sharing at Simple Supper Tuesday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had to come over to see if your fry your corn like I do .LOL

    I use an iron skillet also it's a must for southern fried corn, I use bacon grease sometimes instead of real butter and add onions from the garden yum

    ReplyDelete
  4. Never had fried corn, but my niece recently introduced me to fried pickles. '-)
    Will need to try this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love, love, love fried corn. I try to make it every once in a while and though it's OK, it's never quite as good as my grandmother's.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I don't know what your grandma's secret was, but some older recipes call for bacon grease to fry the corn, and cream added right at the end.

      Delete
  6. I love fried corn too, my mom used to make it and then right before plating it she stirred in a cup of chopped fresh cold tomatoes, wow it was delish, i wish you had of put some pictures of the corn in your post, lol love corn...Phyllis...I am a new follower of yours...

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome aboard, Phyllis! Thanks for the comment. I sometimes add pictures and sometimes not. Will try to add one soon; making fried corn tonight, actually!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Marcia,
    My grandmother used to fry the corn in a big iron skillet and it was so good. This sure brings back good memories. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and have a good week!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum! I bet this would be fantastic, Marcia! Thanks so much for linking up to All My Bloggy Friends last week - I hope you'll join us again tomorrow. I look forward to seeing what you've been working on this week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, I love fried corn, it's so, so tasty! Seeing your post makes me sure want some.
    Visiting you from Home Sweet Home party.

    ReplyDelete