This is the macaroni salad I've made for years. Every Easter it is requested because it goes so well with ham. We really like it as a side with grilled meats, too! It is rich and not low-fat, so I just make it for special occasions like Easter and those patriotic cook-out holidays in the summer. (My son, Blake, is a particular fan of this salad, along with his Aunt Mona and Aunt Nila.)
I've given family members this recipe, verbally, across the table at holiday get-togethers, but now they'll have the photos to walk them through the process!
1. Boil 1 small box of medium seashell macaroni in well-salted water. Drain and set aside. Also, cook 2 or 3 hard-boiled eggs, cool and peel the shells.
2. To macaroni, add 1/2 C shredded carrots, 1/4 C cubed sweet pickle and the boiled eggs, cubed. Add 1/2 C cubed Velveeta Cheese (no substitutions).
3. Stir together the dressing in a separate bowl. 1 C Miracle Whip, 1 TBSP yellow mustard and 1 TBSP sugar. Stir until smooth and sugar is dissolved. Thin out, very gradually, with a little cold water until it's the consistency of pourable salad dressing.
4. Pour dressing over the macaroni, vegetable, cheese mixture and fold in, gently, until it's all combined.
5. Put in a tightly covered container to chill in the refrigerator for a few hours. This salad is even better the second day, so it's a great make-ahead recipe!