Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Easy Chicken Egg Rolls Using Roasted Chicken From the Deli

My good friend, Julie, and I were in a loooong wonderful chat last night; the type that ends because our cell phones are beeping to indicate that our batteries are dead! In the course of the conversation, she mentioned a recipe for my aunt's stew that I had posted on here. As we were talking, I confessed that the main reason that I started this blog a couple of years ago was just to share family stories and recipes with my siblings and their children, and to keep our family and friends updated on our life (we had moved across the country). I didn't realize how rewarding the process of writing and getting feedback from readers would be. I'm not tech savvy, so after I got over the fear of sitting down in front of the computer screen, and Ben (the teenager who is tech savvy...of course!) assured me that he would be my "wing man", it was like writing a letter. My biggest shock was that people, other that friends and family, would be interested in my stories of small town life and down-home recipes. The real bonus has been talking with folks from other states and countries who share my love of family, food and history. According to my statistics, I have readers in 35 countries; 3, 283 page views so far this month and 44,528 page views overall. I'm not boasting, but humbled and amazed! Thank you for reading. Your interest has been an encouraging gift to me. ~Marcia

I pulled a recipe from my files that is a quick way to make egg rolls without going to a Chinese buffet. I'm in favor of a good Chinese buffet, almost anytime, but sometimes it's cold out or Bluebloods is on TV, or you realize that they don't serve Diet Coke with Lime at your favorite buffet!! If you made these egg rolls at home (and fixed some plum sauce) you could have that great taste of Chinese food with your own Lime Coke; it's a win/win!

Easy Chicken Egg Rolls

4 C bagged coleslaw
8 oz. deli roasted chicken breast, shredded (2 cups) or leftover chicken will do!
1/2 C sliced green onion
3 TBSP reduced-sodium soy sauce
3/4 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 (16 oz.) pkg. refrigerated egg roll wrappers (I find these in the refrigerated section of produce)
cooking oil for frying
bottle of plum or sweet and sour sauce

-Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
-Toss all ingredients (except oil and wrappers) in a large bowl. Spoon about 1/3 C of chicken mixture across and just below center of each egg roll wrapper. Fold bottom corner over filling, forming an envelope shape. Roll egg roll toward remaining corner. Moisten top corner with water; press firmly to seal.
- Repeat with remaining chicken mixture and egg roll wrappers.
-In heavy sauce pan (electric skillet) or deep-fat fryer, heat about 2 inches of oil to 365 degrees. -Fry egg rolls, 2 or 3 at a time, 2 to 3 minutes or until brown, turning often.
-Drain on paper towels. Keep warm in oven while frying remaining egg rolls.
-Serve immediately with sweet and sour sauce.
(This was a free recipe card that I picked up at Walmart's deli years ago.)

Swaps:
-Flour Me With Love
-Delightfully Dowling
-Beyer Beware
-Frugal Antics of a Harried Homemaker
-Skip to my Lou
-A Southern Fairytale
-Make Ahead Meals for Busy Moms

7 comments:

  1. These look great, thanks for sharing this for What's Cooking Wednesday. Don't forget to link back to the home of WCW.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks delicious too! My blog is sort of the reverse. I started out to highlight and talk about art....and it has become a place to write about my food so that I can write a cookbook of my family recipes. Either way, it is a lot of fun, you are right!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marcia,
    I love your post as you are telling most of my story about blogging, it is really interesting what happens and all the wonderful people like you that we meet on our journey. I love your Egg Roll recipe it looks delicious! Hope you are having a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. These egg rolls look amazing! I love them! I would love if you would drop by and link up to my Super Bowl Eats and Treats Party!
    http://www.thefreshmancook.blogspot.com/2012/01/super-bowl-eats-treats-blog-party.html
    Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love egg rolls! Thank you so much for sharing at Mix it up Monday, I hope to see you next week too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Interesting to use the deli chicken with this! Love Bluebloods too :)

    ReplyDelete