Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Corn (Seafood) Chowder

I spent the afternoon with some of the  dedicated and hard-working volunteers at the Southlake  Chamber of Commerce.  We were collectively working on a large mailing project.  While there,  I enjoyed chatting with my friend, Jill.  She is a successful  career woman who helps  make the chamber run smoothly but, in  her spare time, she enjoys cooking and baking.  We're fellow "foodies" and  our conversations usually gravitate toward recipes.   As Jill was growing up, her mom was a "made-everything-from-scratch" cook, like many of the good cooks I grew up around.  Every time we talk about home and family, I get the feeling that we had similar upbringings: church, down-home cooking, and family.    She was so  kind today  to ask about my blog,  and has promised to share some of her own  family  recipes when she gets time to jot them down.  I have plans to go down and share a lunch of  comfort food soon with the whole staff....such great people!

This evening I plan to make this chowder for dinner.  I've been gone all day and this sounds like a good choice with some hot rolls (or French bread).  The original recipe is just called "Corn Chowder," but I have fish and shrimp to add to it, so it will become a Seafood Chowder.  My son, Ben would like scallops in it, but I don't have any in the freezer.

Corn Chowder

5 slices bacon, diced
2 medium onions, chopped
2 (10 3/4 oz.) cans chicken broth
2  " water
3 large potatoes, peeled and diced
1 (15 oz.) can cream-style corn
2 C evaporated milk
salt and pepper
Cayenne pepper (optional)
(I'm adding shrimp and cooked Tilapia fish at the end of cooking)

In a large skillet or Dutch oven, brown the bacon until crisp.  Remove bacon and saute' onions in drippings.  Add chicken broth and water. Add potatoes and cook until done.  Add the rest and sprinkle with Cayenne pepper for color and heat.  Makes 6-8 servings (more with added seafood!)

Swaps:
Blessed with Grace
Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
My Sweet and Savory
All the Small Stuff
33 Shades of Green

2 comments:

  1. Hi Marcia,
    We just love Corn Chowder and it is a great idea to add the shrimp. Your recipe looks awesome. Hope you have a great week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Say the magic word, corn, and I am sitting at your table. The soup sounds great and I thank you for sharing it with us at My Meatless Mondays.

    ReplyDelete