Wednesday, September 19, 2012

Beef with Carmelized Onion Gravy

Now that the youngest son is away at college, I have to keep meals interesting yet small...very small.  I'm so used to cooking for four big guys that I'm really having to adjust my cooking and shopping style here!  Yesterday I was in the mood to surprise Hubby with one of his favorite meals.  He loves roast beef and mashed potatoes and gravy.  I tried this short-cut version (after scouring my pantry for inspiration) and it really turned out well.  He said it was one of the best meals he'd had for a while;  high praise from a man who often  frequents restaurants staffed with professional cooks!  But, this meal was done by a woman who had in her possession a can of Campbell's Select Harvest Caramelized French Onion Soup and it was down-home delicious!  Here's how I made it:

Marcia's Beef and Caramelized Onion Gravy

3 lb. roast (I had a tip roast, but any small roast will do)
3 stalks of celery, cleaned, stringed and chopped in half
1/2 small onion, chopped
handful of baby carrots (enough for 2)
1 can caramelized french onion soup (18.8 oz.)
Coarse-ground black pepper

Throw all ingredients in the crock pot;  sprinkle plenty of pepper on the roast.  Pour one can of Campbell's Caramelized French Onion Soup (18.8 oz)  over all and 1/2 can of water.  Cook on LOW for 4 hours or until meat and vegetables are tender.  Put the drippings in a skillet. Shake a couple tablespoons of flour and a little water  in something with a tight-fitting lid. Using a slotted spatula, blend the flour mixture into the drippings to make gravy.  Simmer to desired thickness.  Serve beside beef roast and vegetables.

My Adventures in Texas:  Overheard at the Justin boot outlet in Justin, Texas:   "Those boots are really cute!  They look like they have snakeskin on them.  Oh, but if you get the ones with orange at the top you could wear them to football games, too."  Yes, this was a young prospective bride and her Barbie-like  bridesmaids on a trip to find the perfect pair of  western boots for her to wear...with her wedding gown!! :) Gotta love it!

 Book I'm Reading Now:  The Phantom Tollbooth

Swaps: 
Little House on the Prairie Living
All the Small Stuff
Blessed with Grace
33 Shades of Green
Love Bakes Good Cakes
Delightfully Dowling
Beyer Beware
DIY Home Sweet Home
Mandy's Recipe Box
It's a Blog Party
The Blackberry Vine


6 comments:

  1. Hi Marcia,
    Your Roast and Gravy sounds so good, I can almost taste it right now, I need to make this right now. Hope you are having a great weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. that sounds amazing. I love french soup and I just happen to have a campbells in my pantry! Thanks for the fabulous idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds good, I will try this the next time I do a roast. Thanks for sharing! I laughed at the adventures in texas, but here in arizona we're not too far off from that sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
  4. There is nothing better than home-cooked comfort food! This reminds me of Sunday's spent at my Grandma's :) Just wanted to thank you for linking up last week and let you know the party is live now! I can't wait to see what you share this week at All my Bloggy Friends!

    ReplyDelete
  5. now that made me hungry lol! sounds good!
    Helen

    ReplyDelete
  6. This sounds wonderful. I'm an onion lover!
    Our party is live now, and we would like to invite you to share this there: http://thebusybhive.blogspot.com/
    Hope to see you there.
    Thanks!
    The Busy Bee's,
    Myrna and Joye.

    ReplyDelete