Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Marcia's Banana Bran Bread

I think I've discovered something that may equal the stress of having car trouble...cell phone problems!  I have been without a phone since yesterday morning. Tuesday morning, while throwing sheets in the washer, (I had a mountain-o-laundry since Labor Day visitors left to go back to work, college, and grad school apartment), I accidentally dropped my cell phone into the sudsy water.  Since then, I've been alternately using the blow dryer on my little android cell phone;  covering it in a bowl of rice and perching it on the windowsill in the sun (dry heat is recommended in online tutorials).  I know that these sound like spa treatments, but my phone still hadn't responded favorably, as of last night.  I felt lost without FB and texting!  Oops!...Did I say that out loud?!
 Both husband and son tried to revive my texting and calling capabilities;  men know that a woman without her phone is not a good situation...for the whole family!  Some of their cell phone "alternative medicine" must have worked.   This morning I'm keeping my fingers crossed;   I've made two successful calls and just sent a text that went through!
After all of  this "techno-stress" we need some comfort food around here.  I'm making banana bread today!  I've already shared a couple of my best banana bread recipes with you in previous posts.  To find these you may click on the search box at the top/left and put in "banana bread", or just go to March 13, 2009 or February 23, 2010 posts.  This particular recipe is great because it has raisin bran in it.  I make it quite often as a breakfast pick-me-up treat.  Hope you and your family enjoy it.  Bit of hard-earned advice:  Don't let your cell phone or Ipod go swimming no matter how much they beg!

Marcia's Banana Bread

2 C flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 C mashed ripe banana
1 1/2 C raisin bran cereal (or All Bran)
1/2 C margarine, softened (I like butter)
3/4 C sugar
2 eggs
1/2 C coarsely-chopped nuts (optional)
1/2 C plain yogurt

Stir together flour, soda, salt and baking powder.  Combine mashed banana and cereal(I crush this a little, too);  let stand for 2 minutes.  In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and sugar.  Mix in the eggs and cereal mixture.  Stir in flour mixture and nuts.  Finally, fold in the yogurt and mix until blended.  Spread in standard-sized loaf pan(I use a Wilton pan that makes 4 small individual loaves-shorter baking time, too).  Bake at 350 degrees for about an hour.  Let cool on rack for 10 minutes before removing from pan.  Cool completely before wrapping in waxed paper to store.  Freezes well!

Happy Birthday on Sept. 11 to our oldest son, Justin!! Love you!  :)


Swaps:
Blessed with Grace
My Sweet and Savory
33 Shades of Green
All the Small Stuff
It's a Blog Party
Mandy's Recipe Box
Itzy's Kitchen
The Blackberry Vine

 

5 comments:

  1. Hi Marcia - I saw you over at Miz Helens' I really need to learn how to make banana bread! I will be giving this a try. Also your newest follower, hope you will stop by and do the same. Have a great weekend, Deb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Deb, Welcome! You might want to check out the previous recipes I've posted for banana bread. If you've never made it before, the recipe that includes Bisquick baking mix is fail-proof and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marcia,
    I just love Raisin Bran and know that we will really enjoy this recipe! Hope you are having a fabulous weekend and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love that this has Raisin Bran in it! Thank you for sharing it last week at All my Bloggy Friends - I can't wait to see what you link up at this week's All my Bloggy Friends!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the addition of raisin bran! Thanks so much for sharing :)

    ReplyDelete