Monday, September 30, 2013

Chocolate Chip Blondies


  What a great fall weekend here in NW Arkansas!  We had a nice soaking rain on Saturday (perfect for watching college football on TV!) and Sunday was what the weather announcers frequently call, "a top ten day."  It was crisp in the morning and mild in the afternoon.  On Friday,  even though I'm still using an uncooperative electric oven here in our apartment, I decided to bake something.  I must have had autumn fever (it's like spring fever, but instead of cleaning and washing windows, you are compelled to bake!)  There's a cool breeze outside, and all-of-a-sudden I feel I should mix up some dough, toss in chocolate chips and rev up the oven.
  So, I went through my recipe file to find a cookie recipe that I could not ruin in this oven.  There were just  no guarantees here, no matter the recipe or its ingredients;  an undependable oven is an undependable oven!  It does not bake evenly (OK, enough whimpering).  I pulled out a favorite chocolate chip cookie recipe.  I decided I would double it and spread the dough  out in a greased cake pan, because I've had better luck with cakes in this oven than individual cookies.  I had never attempted this with my Original Hershey Chocolate Chip Cookie recipe, so I wasn't sure how these bar cookies would turn out.  I stayed near the oven during baking time so I could check and recheck.  To my surprise,  it was a success!  Hubby ate a couple and Ben loved them!  They are like blondies  (light brownies) with chocolate chips melted in them,  They have a chewy cake-like consistency that's great with hot tea or coffee.  I hope you will try this out-so quick and easy to make a plate of cookie bars!

The Original Hershey Chocolate Chip Cookie-1940

1 C flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 C butter, room temperature (I used margarine)
1/2 C brown sugar, packed
1/4 C granulated white sugar
1 egg
1/2 tsp pure vanilla
1/3 C walnut pieces (I omitted these)
8 oz. chocolate chips

-Heat oven to 350 degrees.
-Cream butter and sugars until fluffy.  Beat in egg and vanilla.
-Gradually add combined dry ingredients.  Add nuts and chocolate chips.
-Drop by rounded TBSP onto ungreased cookie sheets.  
-Bake 10 minutes;  let stand on sheets for 2-3 minutes.
-Transfer to wire racks.  Makes 2 dozen cookies.
NOTE:  I doubled this recipe and spread the dough evenly in a standard size rectangular cake pan with dark coating.  Even though it was a non-stick pan, I sprayed it lightly with cooking spray.  Oven was set on 350 degrees;  when done it should be a golden brown color and spring back in the middle.  Don't over bake!  Cool and cut into bars. 


SWAPS:
Miz Helen
Lamberts Lately
The 36th Avenue
Brambleberry Cottage
My Romantic Home
Common Ground


4 comments:

  1. Can you believe I never made blondies, opposed to the classic brownies kind? Thanks for the recipe, I'm liking this one with choc. chips too. Hugs,
    FABBY

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Fabby. I had my blondie with a cup of Earl Grey...sooo good!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Marcia,
    I am so glad to get this recipe as I think it is the one my aunt always made, wow, great memories. Thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday and hope your weekend was great!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  4. These look amazing! I look forward to trying them with my children. Thanks for linking up with "Try a New Recipe Tuesday." I hope you will be able to join us again this week. http://our4kiddos.blogspot.com/2013/10/try-new-recipe-tuesday-october-8.html

    ReplyDelete