Monday, February 9, 2015

My Mom's Candied Dill Pickles

I had a half gallon jar of large dill pickles leftover from the holidays, and decided what better way to use them up than to make some of my mom's "candied dills"!


My mom makes these delicious candied pickles for holidays, especially Thanksgiving, but I have to admit that I like them paired with Christmas (or Easter) ham, too.  As children, my brother, sister and I  were always anxious for the time when the pickle spears were done sitting in the crockware bowl basking in sugar!  My dad has been known to add horseradish to the crock bath to give them some,"kick"!  Mom's pickles are a sure winner for your next holiday meal...or summer barbecue...or sandwich.


First, buy a jar of whole dills like these from SAM'S Club.  Slice them into fourths.  If you want to go the easier route, just buy a jar of dill pickle spears.  Next, place the prepared pickle spears in either the empty jar or a crockware bowl and layer them with a generous amount of sugar (add some horseradish if you like a little heat). End the layering process with a top layer of sugar.  Place a paper towel over the top of the bowl or jar and let sit for several hours or overnight.  Refrigerate the pickles to get them cold.  Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment