Thursday, August 20, 2015

Baked Steak Makes Its Own Gravy!



I raced through Walmart yesterday to pick up a couple of items, and then hurry on to the post office to beat the,"noon rush"!
I wasn't looking particularly fetching since I had just walked Abbey, our little dog, in the rain before leaving for the store.  Although I tried to walk quickly and keep my head down, of course, I saw someone that I knew!  Haha...seems it always happens that way!   (It was still great to see a friend and make future plans to get together for lunch!). Just sayin'...If you run in the grocery store dressed up, hair done and new shoes, you won't see a soul that you know!
  Anyway, as I walked past the meat cooler, I spotted some of the nicest-looking round steak that I'd seen for a while.  My menu plan for dinner changed immediately!  I have a great recipe for baked steak and it calls for individually-sized pieces of round steak.  I took pictures as I fixed it for dinner.  Hope you like it as much as my family does!

1.  Dredge individually- sized portions of round steak in all-purpose flour.



2.  Get 2 or 3 TBSP of your favorite oil hot in the skillet (I use canola for this, but purists say only Crisco will do).  Brown the meat.  Salt and pepper each side generously.




3.  Layer meat in a glass casserole in a single layer.  Top with chopped onion or onion slices.  You can put whole mushrooms in, too, but that's optional.  (The onions are crucial to the flavor and gravy part!)




4.  Rinse the drippings out of the skillet and pour over the meat.  Make sure that you scrape the skillet clean!  Add enough water to barely cover the layer of meat.  Cover tightly with foil and place in a 325 oven for 3 or 4 hours (depending on thickness of meat and number of pieces. It is done when the meat is fork-tender and it's made a gravy!  Serve with mashed potatoes.

No comments:

Post a Comment