Wednesday, January 28, 2009

Results of baking


As promised, I tried the blueberry muffin recipe from Friday's "Old Cookbook". We had a snow day here on Tuesday, which is a rarity in Oklahoma, so with everyone home, I fired up the oven and got out the cookbook. I found the recipe on page 113 called Guest Supper Muffins. Below the recipe are many variations such as cranberry, date, bacon, and Pennsylvania Dutch muffins. I, of coarse, used the blueberry one. Here is the recipe, and then I'll tell you how it went and whether anyone liked them.

2 C sifted all-purpose flour
2 TBSP sugar
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
3/4 tsp salt
1/2 C shortening(I used a Crisco baking stick)
1 egg, well-beaten
3/4 C milk

-Sift together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt into mixing bowl. Cut in shortening until crumbs are the size of small peas(I used a pastry cutter for this, but you can use 2 forks if you don't have one)
Make a hollow in the center of the mixture.
-Combine egg and milk; add all at once to hollow in dry ingredients. Stir only until dry ingredients are just moist(batter will be lumpy).
-Fill greased muffin pan cups 2/3 full.
-Bake in hot oven(400 degrees)25 minutes, or until done. Makes about 12 muffins.

For blueberry muffins: Quickly fold 1 C blueberries into batter and bake as directed.


We are used to the modern day cake-type muffins. These had a sturdier consistency; more like a biscuit. They were good, but could use more than the 2 TBSP of sugar that the recipe called for. Because we thought they needed to be sweeter, we put jam on them...problem solved! Next time I make them I will add more sugar. They remind me of the cinnamon biscuits that you could get at Arby's a long time ago. They no longer have them, so I'm thinking that I will try to recreate them by adding cinnamon(and added sugar)to the basic muffin recipe. The recipe was precise when it said that it makes 12 muffins. That's exactly how many I got out of it. And they're all gone but two! I think the very best topping for these muffins would be homemade apple butter. Of coarse, you just can't go wrong putting homemade apple butter on almost any baked bread or muffin. West Virginia is the best place to find apple butter made outside in a big kettle over an open fire. Check it out!






1 comment:

  1. Hey there! I am so impressed! Great blog! As Marcia's little sister, I can attest to her abilities in the kitchen and as a homemaker. I will try to check in occasionally to catch up on any new recipes/info. Take care! Love, Becky

    ReplyDelete