Wednesday, August 29, 2012

Baked Spaghetti with Bacon

The beginning of a new school year in our household has always meant pulling out a few of my easy, fast recipes for nights when there was very little time to get dinner on the table.  The criteria that these recipes had to meet was simple:  nutritious, quick to prepare, short list of ingredients and tasty!  Pasta dishes were always a hit.  After having spaghetti made the same way several times, though, the adults at the table start getting weary (not so, for the children;  they're creatures of habit).  If you'd like to mix up your "go-to school night  spaghetti" a little here's a recipe that uses bacon.  I think everyone at the table will like it and the cook will get an A+. (Have the kids who are complaining that they "need a snack";  they're "hungry";  and  "when's it going to be ready"  to tear up the salad and set the table.  They will "sneak" salad ingredients to munch on as they're helping, and you've gotten them to eat their vegetables without even trying :)

Baked Spaghetti with Bacon

1/2 lb. bacon, diced
1 medium onion, diced
1 can (14 1/2 oz.) diced tomatoes with liquid
1 can (8 oz.) tomato sauce
8 oz. spaghetti, cooked and drained
garlic salt and pepper to taste

In a skillet, brown bacon and onion until bacon is crisp;  drain.  Add tomatoes and tomato sauce;  bring to a boil.  Place cooked spaghetti in a 2 qt. baking dish.  Pour sauce over;  cover and bake at 350 degrees for 45 minutes.  Yield:  4-6 servings.  Sprinkle parsley on top to garnish. 

Book I'm Reading Now:  Eudora Welty;  A Writer's Life

Swaps:
Blessed with Grace
All the Small Stuff
My Sweet and Savory
33 Shades of Green
Delightfully Dowling
Beyer Beware
Mandy's Recipe Box
It's a Blog Party
The Blackberry Vine
Balancing Beauty and Bedlam




8 comments:

  1. Hi Marcia,
    Where did our summer go? It seems like we were just having memorial day yesterday. This is a great go-to meal that we will really enjoy. Hope you have a fabulous holiday week end and thank you so much for sharing with Full Plate Thursday.
    Come Back Soon!
    Miz Helen

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh that looks good! I came over from Stonegable link up and I'm excited to see what else you have coming up!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Come on over! Glad to have you. My recipes are usually easy to make and economical :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. This sounds super easy and fast! Perfect for those hectic afternoons/evenings when you have a million things going on! Thank you for sharing at All My Bloggy Friends last week. I can't wait to see what you share this tomorrow!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds easy and yummy!

    Thanks for sharing at Mealtime Monday!

    Kaylee
    www.couponingncooking.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. This recipe does sound easy and yummy. We love adding bacon to most things. :-) Thanks for linking up to Tempt My Tummy, Marcia.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I am always looking for new recipes and yours look really good. I love southern cooking even though I'm a Pacific NW gal. I found your blog on the Creative Bloggers party and hop so I am now following you on GFC! I hope you'll consider following me back as well!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Welcome, Diane! Glad to have you as a new follower.

    ReplyDelete