Friday, October 17, 2014

Mammam's Peanut Brittle

I


I enjoyed a local craft fair yesterday with a group of friends.  The weather was just perfect and we had a great time.  Along with the craft booths was the usual array of food vendors with items that smell heavenly, but that you should eat only once-in-a-while!  There were fried potato strings, Indian Tacos, funnel cakes  and fudge!  


  Seeing and smelling all of the fair-type foods made our conversation turn to cooking.  We each had favorite recipes that our moms and grandmas made in the fall or for holidays.  Amongst the goodies mentioned were peanut brittle, fudge, fried pies, popcorn balls...and one I'd never heard of...Popcorn cake (for Christmas)!
  So, I thought I would share my Mammam's recipe for peanut brittle today because it's delicious and I have fond fall memories of it.

Mammam's Peanut Brittle
2 C sugar
1 C white Karol Syrup
1/2 C water
1/2 stick of butter
2 C raw peanuts
1 scant tsp. baking soda
Stir all ingredients together in a heavy pot.  Boil until candy thermometer reaches 300 degrees.  Take off the heat and stir in the baking soda.  Turn out fast onto cookie sheets with edges (fills 1 large and 1 small). Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment