Friday, November 6, 2015

The Joys of November!


 
  Fall is a busy time, but it's full of moments that feed the soul.  In the midst of the hustle and bustle, and the realization that the holidays are fast-approaching, there are times of complete bliss in enjoying God's creations.   The trees are putting on a show of their magnificent colors and the autumn sunsets are breathtaking!  
  Autumn is a time of cleaning up, storing -up and making sure we're ready for the harsh beauty of winter.  We put away the frivolities of summer (and also, Halloween) and bring out our warm, welcoming items that grace our homes with the feeling of harvest and thanksgiving.
  I've also had a busy week, but please come and see how I'm getting our house ready for Thanksgiving.  Would you like a warm cup of Earl Grey?


Oh, Abbey, no walk right now.  We have guests!


Our front entrance.  Kick your shoes off and stay a while.



I believe this turkey was meant to hold soup.  Around here, his job is to hide leftover Halloween candy!



In the dining room, I'm thinking of colors and shapes that might work on the table.    
I love the colors of the glaze on these Johnson Brothers salad plates.  I've had the brown chargers for a while.  They are not antiques, I just like the leaf pattern on the edges.


Miles and Priscilla have taken their places on our fireplace mantle.  Years ago, my sister lived in Manasses, Virginia and I found these at Wacamaugh Pottery.


Yet another turkey!  My hubby is not a fan of the glass turkeys;  he likes the real thing...with cranberry sauce!


Ah, we're in my kitchen, now.  Ben's Kindergarden-aged handprints make turkeys on my fridge.  I told you that I'm not very good at throwing things away!  I'm a,"sentimental hoarder"!


Look to the left at the brown bowl.  Both of these bowls have seen a lot of Thanksgivings, but the brown one is the one that my Mammam made,"light rolls" and noodles in.  It is very special!


These old crocks sit by my stove waiting for the big day of non-stop cooking and baking.


Finally, we go past a guest bedroom.  I've gotten out the winter quilts.  These two quilts were made by one of my great grandmas (Elizabeth) and they have a place of honor on the beautiful cherry quilt rack that my dad made for me years ago.  It has sat in every house we've lived in. 
  I hope you enjoyed our visit and seeing the stuff that I (hubby and son) got down from the attic to decorate for fall.  These items help bring the warmth and joy of the holidays into our home.  I hope your autumn days are full of good moments, special memories and exciting plans!


No comments:

Post a Comment