Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Healthy and Happy Herb Garden


We've been blessed with a lot of rain lately, so my little herb garden is doing very well. Did I mention that I re-used the sand box under my son's old wooden playset outback? It makes a great raised bed. In fact, you can use the posts on all four corners to tie up beans or tomatoes or a Clematis. I'm even thinking of using the old wooden ladder to prop up a climbing rose or vine. I used the little side picnic bench to hold two potted tomatoes. I've never grown grapes, but I wonder if you could use the monkey bars for that. Someone who knows something about grapes, please let me know.

I went out yesterday and clipped some of my bay leaves which went into my fettuccine last night, along with some fresh garlic. My oldest son had a final to study for and by the time he got home from work, we were short on time, so sadly, there was no Cinco de Mayo celebration here. However, I do have plans to make a batch of salsa this weekend.

In her book, The Lady and Sons, Paula Deen has a wonderful recipe for Black Bean Salsa. I've eaten it at a cookout before, but never made it myself. It is absolutely addictive, and I will be able to put some of my fresh cilantro in it. The other ingredients, such as Hoss avocados may be on mark down at the store since Cinco de Mayo is past. That happened last year; I got avocados for 25 cents apiece. Here's the recipe:

P 15 Black Bean Salsa

Two 15 oz. cans black beans, rinsed and drained
One 17 oz. pkg. frozen whole kernel corn, thawed
2 large tomatoes, seeded and chopped
1 large avocado, peeled and chopped (optional)
1 small onion, chopped
1/8 to 1/4 C chopped cilantro
3 to 4 TBSP lime juice
1 TBSP red wine vinegar
salt and pepper to taste

Mix all ingredients thoroughly in a large bowl. Cover and chill overnight. Tatse, and add salt, pepper and more lime juice as necessary. Serve with tortilla chips as an appetizer, or with grilled chicken breast as a meal.




I'm participating in WorksformeWednesday at WeareThatFamily today

No comments:

Post a Comment