Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Christmas the Traditional Way-Christmas the Easy Way!


I'm so excited that the month of December is here! I can now start my new topic featuring recipes that I've made the traditional way (there will be some old collectible recipes, here), and the short-cut, easy recipes that will get you through the holidays while "saving face" if you're short on time.

My two oldest boys are 21 months apart, and were both really babies at the same time (lots of money on diapers at that time!) Then, when they were both in elementary school, we had another baby, so I found myself as homeroom mother to two classes, while toting the youngest along with me. I'm sure that you've all had similar situations where a part of your life is unusually busy, but you maintain... until the holidays come along and throw you into a tail-spin! During these hectic patches, we've got to rely on some quick recipes and time-saving ideas.

I have made the traditional versions of these recipes, and now, I'm back to a more even pace and can make them, again. But, I still love the short-cut recipes that I found during that wonderful,messy, busy time in my life (they are as much a part of my Holiday Recipe Scrapbook as the recipes from the moms, grandmas and aunts in our family.)

Today's recipe to kick off 'Traditional Way-Easy Way' will be for Divinity, or what used to be called, "Sea Foam". My sister, Becky, loves this kind of candy, and I think of her every Christmas when I make it.

The traditional recipe comes from an old Schreiber Thermometer pamphlet from the late 1920's.

Divinity or Sea Foam-The Traditional Way
(using a candy thermometer)

2 1/2 C sugar
1/2 C corn syrup
1/2 C water
2 whites of eggs

Beat whites of 2 eggs stiff and set aside. Cook sugar, syrup and water to 230 degrees. Pour 1/2 of this into the whites of eggs (beaten stiff), and mix well. Cook the balance to 250 degrees. Then pour it into other half and beat until creamy and white. Pour into buttered dishes or drop from spoon.


Easy Divinity-The Easy Way
(Betty Crocker recipe)

1 package of Betty Crocker Fluffy White Frosting Mix (dry powdered kind)
1/3 C light corn syrup
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 C boiling water
4 C powdered sugar
1 C chopped nuts (I like pecans for this)

-Heat oven to 325 degrees. Line cookie sheet with foil. Beat dry frosting mix, corn syrup, vanilla and boiling water in small bowl on low speed until blended. Beat on high speed about 5 minutes, or until stiff peaks form.

-Transfer to large bowl. Gradually beat in powdered sugar on low speed. Stir in chopped nuts. Drop mixture by teaspoonfuls onto cookie sheet. Bake 5 minutes; remove from oven.

-Let stand about 4 hours or until candies feel firm. Turn candies aver, and allow to dry at least 12 hours. Store in air-tight container. Makes 5 to 6 dozen candies.
(Imagine how easy these would be if you have to have 6 dozen of something for a cookie swap! Been there-done that!)


I'll be at these recipe swaps today:

BlessedwithGrace
Gypsy'sCorner
Raising4Godlymen

4 comments:

  1. Great post! I'll be watching for more in this series.

    Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT!!! recipe. I really like the EASY!!! way to make Divinity. THANKS!!! for sharing.
    Geri

    ReplyDelete
  3. I will have to try the easy way. [0=

    -Mary @Raising 4 Godly Men

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful! Looks gooey and delicious!

    Lori (aka Plans4You and Serenity in the Suburbs)

    ReplyDelete