Thursday, November 11, 2010

Rival Crock Pot Pamphlet

I know, I know, this is not technically a cookbook! I also realize that I've already been gushing about this little pamphlet this week. But, it is rare that a leaflet that came with an appliance is so useful. It doesn't have a date, so I'm guessing it's from the 60's or early 70's because the Crock Pots on the front are in avocado green and burnt orange (we used to have large kitchen appliances in avocado (the color went great with the shag carpeting of the 70's!)

Seriously, like one of the popular children's books of that era, it's, " The Little Cook Booklet that Could"! It is small in size but mighty in information and recipes. If you look back at some of my posts this week, you'll see what I mean. Lots of unique ways to use your Crock Pot that I hadn't thought of before, for instance, using it to roast corn-on-the-cob. There aren't any pictures in it, just great recipes and tips.

For the cook who's coming home after a long day, there are plenty of one-dish meals, soups, stews and Crock Pot casseroles-throw the ingredients together the night before or in the morning and you're welcomed home to the aroma of a delicious meal at 5:30 or 6:00! If you are making a large meal (such as Thanksgiving or Christmas dinner) and want to save precious oven space, there are also suggestions for using your slow cooker to make dressing, chicken and noodles, potatoes and other vegetables.

I hope you can find a copy of this pamphlet if you are a Crock Pot fan like me. The one bit of information in the front is the Rival Offices' address: Rival Manufacturing Co., General Offices: Kansas, Mo. 64129. (Or search out yard sales or auctions of folks who might have had shag carpeting and avocado appliances at one time!-That's how I found mine.)


Want to make some homemade candy? Let it cook in the Crock Pot while you sleep at night! (I love this book!) Here's our sample recipe from page 57;

Caramel Candies

1 C sugar
1/4 C flour
1 C light brown sugar
1 C white corn syrup
11/2 C half & half (or evaporated milk)
1/2 C butter, melted
1/4 C flour
2 tsp vanilla
1 C chopped pecans

Mix sugar and 1/4 C flour thoroughly in Crock Pot. Add brown sugar, corn syrup and 1 C milk.Stir. Cover and cook on High for 2 to 3 hours. Make a smooth paste of butter and 1/4 C flour, gradually adding remaining 1/2 C milk. Stir well into Crock Pot mixture. Turn to Low and cook overnight (8-10 hours). If necessary, to thicken, turn to High and cook until mixture coats a spoon. Add vanilla and chopped pecans. Pour on buttered cookie sheet (about 1/2 " deep). Cool until completely cold. Cut with kitchen shears in size desired and wrap each piece with food wrap.

I'll be joining Life as Mom, Designs by Gollum, Grocery Cart Challenge, Mom Trends, Ann Kroeker, and Amy's Finer Things for their swaps today.

6 comments:

  1. Well, this is a new one on me -- candy making in the Crockpot. It really does sound good though and I'm a sucker for caramel. Thanks, I may just try this one, out of curiosity if nothing else.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've found a lot of great recipes from little pamphlets like that! This is great, thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  3. That is true, the pamphlets that comes with the appliances are rarely useful. I'm glad yours is such a hit. I have the same situation with my bread machine pamphlet. Out of all of my appliances, it is the only pamphlet I take recipes from.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for linking up with Crock Pot Wednesday. I will have check in mt appliance file to see if I still have any of my early pamphlets. I certainly had Borg the avocado green and burnt orange crock pots:)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never knew you could make candy in the crock pot. Another use for a fabulous appliance.

    ReplyDelete