Wednesday, January 6, 2010

Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese...Sempre Fi


When my two older sons were in high school, a new family moved into our community and church family, as well. Matt and Tammy were a great couple with two very sweet girls and a lovable Labrador Retriever. Matt was an officer with the Marine Corp and Tammy was a teacher.

Every time that we had a church dinner, Tammy would bring some great-tasting dish and then, later, pass out copies of the recipes to all of us "fans"! Because she had moved around the country a lot, (military families are known for that!)she had swapped recipes with "the best"! Here's her recipe for a delicious version of Macaroni and Cheese (from a friend that she met while living in Charleston, S.C.). Enjoy!


Tammy's Crock Pot Macaroni and Cheese
(from: Margaret Hoover, Charleston, S.C. Church of Christ)

16 oz. box elbow macaroni, cooked and drained
4 C shredded cheddar cheese (can substitute other cheeses of same amount)
1 can evaporated milk
1 1/2 C milk
2 eggs
1/4 C Parmesan cheese, grated
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp celery salt
1/8 tsp crushed red pepper

Spray crock pot with cooking spray. Place macaroni, 3 C of the cheese, and the remaining ingredients in the crock pot. Mix well. Sprinkle top with the remaining cup of cheese. Cover and do not stir while cooking!(Very important!) Cook on low setting for 5 to 6 hrs.


***Book That I'm Reading: Civil War Wives by Carol Berkin***


I will be at these recipe swaps today:
WeareThatfamily
DiningwithDebbie
KrazyKitchen

5 comments:

  1. That sounds so good. I like anything that can be made in the crockpot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This sounds delicious enough for any covered supper. I will also pass this recipe on to my dil. She will love it..and thank you so much for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks so good and comforting! Thanks for linking to TMTT.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oddly enough, I saw a recipe similar to this in a new cookbook that I got the other day, and I was very intrigued. I love mac & cheese but have never made it homemade. Now that I've seen your post, I'll definitely have to give this a try. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love new crockpot recipes. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete