Thursday, January 7, 2010

Fast Apple Turnovers with Refrigerated Crescent Rolls


My dad loves almost any dessert that is wrapped around apple slices: Apple pie, apple dumplings, apple fritters, apple turnovers...well, you get the idea! And I didn't, "fall far from the tree"-I love apple desserts, too.

It's Dad's birthday today, and I just called to sing Happy Birthday over the phone (talk about "adding insult to injury"!). He was cruising the "hot spots" of New Martinsville with Mom when I caught him on his cell phone (on your birthday "you can run but you cannot hide!")

New Martinsville is the local shopping destination there, and also where we used to get apple fritters from one of the local grocery store bakeries (although, they didn't last long at our house). I wish I could be with my dad to celebrate his special day and see the snow; he said they are expected to get up to 6 more inches today! I live too far away for that, so instead, I will post an apple recipe in his honor. Love you, Dad! Happy birthday!


Fast Apple Turnovers
(Old magazine clipping)

2 C peeled, finely-chopped apples
1/3 C sugar
2 TBSP flour
1/2 tsp cinnamon (or to taste)
Dash nutmeg (opt.)
Two 8 oz. cans refrigerated crescent rolls

Glaze:
1/2 C powdered sugar
2 to 3 tsp water

Heat oven to 350 degrees. Mix together first 5 ingredients; make sure apples are well-coated. Separate dough into 16 triangles. Spoon about 1 rounded TBSP of apple mixture into the center of each. Fold 3 corners of dough over the filling, overlapping. Place 1 inch apart on ungreased cookie sheets.

Bake at 350 degrees for 20-25 min. Remove from pans to cool. Combine glaze ingredients and mix till smooth. Drizzle over warm rolls.


I will be at:
LifeasMom
JoyofDesserts

6 comments:

  1. These are so good. I make something similar. I think if crescent rolls are wrapped around it the food is wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  2. this sounds delicious and so easy great for a weeknight meal thanks for the recipe

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am going to try this for when my sons and their girlfriends come over for ham dinner.

    i'll let you know how they turn out!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I make these "Quickie" turnovers using my home canned pie filling made from local apples, also any canned pie filling such as cherries, peaches and berries...love sweets, love this recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Made recipe came out good.I made my own apple filling. It was quite easy. The only thing is I expected crescent dough to come out more flaky. Did I do something wrong?

    ReplyDelete