Tuesday, April 28, 2009

My Pepper Steak, Sugar-Free Jam and Oven Toasted Corned Beef Sandwiches


I'm getting my "Travelers" ready today: laundry, ironing, picking up prescription refills. They are excited to go, but there's a lot of little details when you're getting ready for a trip. That reminds me, I need to get the suitcases down from the top shelf in our closet. We have the kind that roll through the airport as you pull on the handle; these are great, especially if you have to get your luggage through a large airport in a short amount of time!

Excuse my travel chatter, because I realize that today is when I enjoy sharing family favorite recipes with you. I pulled three from my wooden file box on Sunday afternoon. Here they are:

This first recipe is the way that I prepare Pepper Steak with Rice. My husband and two of the three sons do not like slices of green pepper in theirs, but I cook it with the peppers because they give the steak that wonderful flavor, but I don't give them any peppers on their plates when I serve it.


Pepper Steak in the Crock Pot

1 lean, trimmed tip roast (about 5 lb.)
1 large green Bell pepper cut into strips
1 large Vidalia onion (or Texas Sweet) cut into strips

Place roast in the crock pot and sprinkle generously w/ garlic salt. Cover with green pepper and onion strips (salt also). Pour 1 can tomato sauce or 1 can tomato soup (which ever you have) over all. Turn crock pot to High.

Fix steamed rice in separate pan or rice cooker. Pull the piece of meat out of the crock. Pour a small amount of white sauce in to thicken the juices. Slice meat. Pour meat and sauce w/ peppers and onions over the rice.



Eric and Cae are good friends of ours from church. They brought these delicious warm sandwiches to a New Years Eve party and they just disappeared off of the plate. They are so good and easy to fix.

Warm Corned Beef Sandwiches

1 pkg. onion buns
mayo or Miracle Whip to taste
1 can of corned beef (like Hormel)

In a bowl mash the corned beef up with a fork. Then add: 1 tsp mustard, 1 onion chopped fine, 3 stalks celery chopped fine. Mix together well.

Butter the insides of both halves of each bun. Add 1 slice of American cheese and spread a layer of the meat mixture. Wrap each sandwich in foil and place on cookie sheet. Bake at 325 degrees for 20 to 30 min.



This Sugar-free recipe came from Aunt Sis' collection.

Sugar-Free Strawberry Jam

3/4 C diet lemon-lime soda
1 pkg. (3 oz.) sugar-free strawberry jello mix
1 C mashed fresh or frozen strawberries
1 1/2 tsp lemon juice

In sauce pan bring soda pop to a boil; remove from heat and stir in jello until dissolved. Stir in strawberries and lemon juice. Pour into jars; cover and refrigerate up to 3 weeks. Do not freeze!



Go to Blessedwithgrace and Tammysrecipes.com for more great recipes.

4 comments:

  1. Your pepper steak sounds delicious! I'm always looking for more things to make in my crockpot. Thanks for the recipe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds great! how long do you leave it in the crok pot high 4-6 hrs and love 8? I am trying to do more crock pot recipes on the days I work, but dont know many good recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I probably leave it on High for 4 or 5 hours; if you need it to cook longer, put it on Low and add the onions and peppers half way through so they're not cooked to pieces. Thanks for the great comments! They keep me going.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This will be great!! I WILL be making this recipe.

    ReplyDelete