Wednesday, December 1, 2010

My Holiday Scrapbook: Lemon Cut-Out Cookies

Although sugar cookies reign supreme as Christmas cookie cut-out favorites, my hubby likes my version which is lemon-flavored. I top them with a vanilla/confection glaze (with various colors and sprinkles, of course!)

Marcia's Lemon Cut-Out Cookies

1/2 C butter, softened
1 1/2 C sugar
1 egg
2 3/4 C flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp soda
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 C fresh lemon juice (or a little less)
Colored sugars or icing

In a large mixing bowl, cream together butter and sugar; beat in egg. Stir together dry ingredients; add alternately with lemon juice to creamed mixture. Mix well (dough will be soft). Chill overnight (or several hours). Preheat oven to 400 degrees. On well-floured surface, roll out 1/3 of dough into 1/8" thickness (chill remaining dough while you roll out this piece). Cut out shapes with floured cutters. Sprinkle with colored sugars, if desired (I like to ice them when they're cooled). Place 1" apart on greased baking sheets. Bake 6-8 minutes or until edges are lightly-browned. Cool, ice and decorate.

I will be joining We are That Family, Krazy Kitchen, Kelly the Kitchen Kop, Dining with Debbie, King's Court IV, and Turning Back the Clock for their swaps today.

(Book I'm reading now: Giant by Pulitzer Prize winner Edna Ferber)

1 comment: