Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Praline Thumbprint Cookies

My Christmas baking has begun! I have already made my marshmallow fudge that Dana looks forward to every year, but hadn't baked any cookies, yet. Yesterday was the day! I made Peppermint Crunch, Peanut Butter Reindeer Cookies (Tues., Dec. 8, 'o9 post) and some sugar cookies. These will go in hostess gifts and to the youth minister and his family. I have to do my baking and candy-making in spurts so that it is fresh for gifts. I usually make our cookies and fudge the week of Christmas. In the spirit of cookie-baking, here is another long-time recipe from my Holiday Scrapbook.

I brought this recipe home from one of the many cookie swaps that I've attended over the years. I remember that these cookies are rich. You might want to have them with coffee or a glass of milk!

Praline Thumbprint Cookies

1 C margarine
1 C powdered sugar
2 C flour
1 C finely-chopped pecans
1 TBSP vanilla

Cream margarine, gradually adding powdered sugar, beating well. Add flour. Stir in nuts and vanilla. Shape dough into 1" balls; place about 2" apart on ungreased cookie sheets. Press your thumb in center to make indentation. Bake at 375 degrees for 15-17 minutes; Do Not Brown! Cool on racks. Spoon about 1/2 tsp praline filling into each cookie.

Filling:
1/2 C margarine
1 C firmly-packed brown sugar
dash of salt
1/2 C evap. milk
2 C powdered sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla

Melt margarine in saucepan; add brown sugar and salt; bring to a boil. Boil 2 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in milk. Bring mixture to a boil. Let boil 2 minutes or until it reaches 232 degrees (candy thermometer). Remove to cool; when lukewarm, stir in powdered sugar and vanilla. Beat w/ wooden spoon until mixture is smooth. Fill centers of cookies.


I will be at these swaps today:
-BlessedwithGrace
-Gypsyscorner
-BeautyandBedlam
-Allthesmallstuff

2 comments:

  1. Marcia...these sound WONDERFUL!! I love anything with pecans!

    CHRISTmas Blessings!
    Gail

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! These sound decadent and yummy!

    ReplyDelete