Thursday, June 18, 2009

Horseradish Deviled Eggs, Chicken Mexicali and Fruit Pizza


I've decided (late last night as I dug through my recipe clippings mess) that I need a new system for all of my loose recipe clippings that I want to try. I have a definite system in place for the recipes once we've tried them out. After I've made the new recipe and we've sampled it, our family takes a pole (thumbs-up or thumbs-down) if thumbs- up wins, I copy it down and it goes in my "tried and true" box. If thumbs-down wins, the recipe gets tossed.

Right now, the clippings are stacked in an old librarian's file cabinet, however, there's no filing here! just a stacked-up mix of newspaper squares and ripped-out pieces of magazine pages, with some old, yellowed vintage cards thrown in. And every time I get ready to look through them I seem to look at the same ones that I saw last time, because I got tired and put them back on top of the stack...who knows what great things I'm missing on the bottom of the stack?! My sister got the organizing/labeling gene...and the sewing gene, too! Life is just not fair.

I did manage to find three delicious-sounding recipes last night, though, and I want to share them with you. They might be good ideas to add some zip to Dad's Father's Day meal. I think my dad would love the Horseradish Deviled Eggs; wish I lived closer!

Horseradish Deviled Eggs

6 hard-cooked eggs
1/4 C mayo
1 to 2 TBSP prepared horseradish
1/2 tsp dill weed
1/4 tsp ground mustard
1/8 tsp salt
dash pepper
dash paprika

Cut eggs in half length-wise. Remove yolks; set whites aside. In a bowl, mash the yolks. Add mayo, horseradish, dill, mustard, salt and pepper; mix well. Pipe or spoon into egg whites. Sprinkle w/ paprika. Chill until serving. Yield: 1 dozen

Ruth Roth of Linville, North Carolina from Taste of Home magazine


Chicken Mexicali

2 1/2 lbs. cut-up chicken
1 C long grain rice
1 can enchilada sauce

1 can tomato juice

1 envelope taco seasoning mix
4 TBSP melted oleo (margarine)
1/2 C tomato juice

Sprinkle uncooked rice in a 9"x13" pan. Pour melted oleo and 1/2 C tomato juice over rice. Mix 1 can enchilada sauce and 1 can tomato juice together and pour over rice. Lay chicken on top and sprinkle with taco seasoning mix. Seal with foil. Bake 2 1/2 hrs. at 325 degrees. Do not peek-leave sealed until done!

Jan May
Sioux Valley Southwestern Electric (from an old electric cooperative pamphlet)



Summer Fruit Pizza

18 oz. pkg. sugar cookie dough
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1/3 C sugar
4 C fresh fruit (a variety)-strawberries, kiwi, bananas, grapes, blueberries

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Flatten cookie dough out into pizza pan. Bake 18-20 min. Mix cream cheese and sugar together, and spread on cooled cookie. Top with sliced fresh fruit. Serve immediately.

Jana Moon
Lyon-Lincoln Electric

Join me for TastyThursday at SouthernFriedMama !



1 comment: