Tuesday, June 9, 2009

Iced Cappuccino, Spicy Ham and Pecan Bars-Fast!


It's Tuesday, and as I've said, I'm in fast and easy mode this week because of my schedule. In that same thought pattern, I've come up with the recipes that I want to share with you today. The first two are off the top of my head-no recipe necessary!

As I was growing up, my mom used to make a spicy ham mix on the stove top that was so good! She was a busy, working mom who appreciated quick recipes for dinner time. These ham sandwiches were really popular at our house and there were no leftovers!


Shirley's Spicy Ham Sandwiches

1 can Hunt's Manwich Sauce
1-2 lbs. deli ham, shaved (depending on how much sauce you like)
brown sugar to taste (Splenda Brown Sugar could work, too)

In large skillet, stir together sauce and brown sugar until the sugar is dissolved. Add ham and heat through. Put on buns. Put coleslaw on the side and you've got a quick meal.




It's no secret to anyone who knows me, that I'm a chocolate/flavored coffee fan. When McDonalds put out buy one-get one free coupons for their new iced coffees, I had to go try them. It was good! I will keep it in mind at vacation time when I'm traveling. Usually, though, I make my own iced coffee. It's an inexpensive alternative, and I can enjoy it on my back porch as I listen to the birds. If you have to drink your iced coffee on the run, you can make this in a minute and pour it into your trusty commuter mug.


Marcia's Formula for a Cheap and Easy Iced Mocha Cappuccino

Buy a large container at Sam's Club of their Member's Mark Cappuccino (or my favorite, Mocha Cappuccino) powder.

Use 1 scoop to 1 C water (adjust this to your taste); stir thoroughly and put in microwave for 1 minute, or just until tepid, or barely warm (this is very important, because you are going to pour it into a glass (or your travel cup)! You just need the powder to dissolve.

Mix, again, after it comes from the microwave. In tall glass, pour over crushed ice (if you don't have an ice crusher in your fridge door, you can use the ziplock bag/rolling pin crusher!

There, you've got an "Iced Cap" at a fraction of the price of drive-through. If you're so inclined, you can spray Redi whip and drizzle chocolate syrup on top; for purist-coffee lovers this just gets in the way. If you want to make it into a dessert you can skip the ice and top it w/ a scoop of vanilla bean ice cream!


The last recipe today is one that I picked up at a Ladies Retreat for our church years ago (1991). It is so good that you'll make it again and again, once you've tried it.


Pecan Bars

Spread a layer of graham crackers on foil-lined cookie sheet. Add crushed pecans.

Boil 1 C butter and 1 C brown sugar for 30 seconds. Pour over crackers. Bake at 375 degrees for 10 minutes. This is nice to put in tins for small gifts at Christmas or for hostess gifts.

Have a great day and don't forget to wear your sunscreen!

*************************************************************************************************
I'll be joining BlessedwithGrace's TemptmyTummyTuesday recipe swap.
*******************************************************************************************

3 comments:

  1. Yummy Cappu! I love to add the quick Hills Bros English toffee to my coffee... ha!

    Love this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum on the cappuccino! I am hooked on the chocolate/coffee drinks myself. This sounds like a good one :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey, I like fast and easy!! I agree the new McDonald's iced caps are good. I will be buying them when traveling, as well. We head out for a 20 hour road trip on Saturday. Yep, I will be buying a few of these! Thanks for the recipes and linking to TMTT.

    ReplyDelete