Sunday, June 14, 2009

Pork Chalupas and Two Cool Summer Salads

Today's my favorite blog day of the week when I get to share my family recipes with you! I guess the reason I look forward to this is because it brings to mind many people who are near and dear to me. Some are still with us, and some have gone on, but the memories of them make me smile and warm my heart every Tuesday as I look at the recipes that I've collected over the years. Most of these recipes show some wear and tear, but all good things that have stood the test of time do; that's true of people, dogs, Raggedy Ann dolls, furniture and recipes!

Speaking of dolls, my first recipe, which some of you requested after you saw it on my menu plan for the week, is from my friend, Kathy, who is a doll collector. She is also a good cook who uses her skill to provide a delicious meal for Monday Night for the Master at our church. Kathy comes from a large family and told me that this is actually her sister's recipe that is in their "Family Cookbook". I had these Pork Chalupas at Monday Night for the Master and think that their cookbook must be full of great stuff! Thanks for sharing with us, Kathy!

Pork Chalupas
(Suzanne Frost)

3 lb. pork roast or pork chops, boned and trimmed
1 lb. soaked pinto beans

2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 TBSP chili powder
1 tsp cumin
1 tsp oregano
1 tsp hot sauc
e
salt to taste

tortilla chips
chopped lettuce
chopped tomatoes
chopped onion
shredded cheese
guacamole
salsa


Put roast and soaked beans in large pan and cover w/ water. Add garlic, cumin, oregano, hot sauce and salt. Cook, covered, for 5-8 hours until tender. Stir meat through beans and serve on top of chips. Cover w/ lettuce, tomatoes, onions, cheese, guac and salsa.


My friend, Karol, from WV made this salad in the summer with fresh cucumbers. It is light and cool on hot days.

Blue Cheese Cucumber Salad
( Karol Simpson)

2 medium cucumbers
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 C green onion
1 C Blue cheese
2 TBSP lemon juice

1 TBSP olive oil
freshly- ground pepper


Mix together and chill.


My mom enjoys being a member of the Woman's Club and Garden Club in our town and has helped with many functions over the years. In fact, Sunday, the Garden Club celebrated its 65th anniversary with a Tea; when I called on Saturday night, Mom was busy making tea sandwiches and Dad was the taste tester! Here's one of Mom's light dessert/salads for a "Ladies' Luncheon" or Tea.

Mom's (Shirley's) Cherry Salad

1 can cherry pie filling

1 can condensed milk
1 can pineapple tidbits
1 C chopped nuts
2 C mini-marshmallows
1 (13 oz.) Cool Whip
Gently blend together and chill.

I will be linking to BlessedwithGrace and BalancingBeautyandBedlam today for their recipe swaps.

8 comments:

  1. Those pork chalupas sound so good!
    I thought the cucumber salad would have blue cheese in the recipe since it's called blue cheese cumber salad but it dosen't.It still sounds good though!And the cherry salad is good but I made mine without the marshmallows and nuts.Thanks for sharing these recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The chalupas are really good. I've made similar ones. I also make the cherry salad you posted and I love it. It's so easy to make. Thanks for the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  3. they all sound good thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  4. the chalupas sound divine and the cucumber salad, too!! ;) have a great tuesday!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope you'll share these yummy treats with Momtrends next Friday.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I don't see any blue cheese in the cucumber salad.. . . did you accidently leave it out? Sounds good anyway!

    ReplyDelete
  7. That was just a test!... to see if anyone really reads these old family (and friend's) recipes that I get so excited about every Tuesday...you all passed! Just kidding, I messed up and accidentally omitted the 1 C Blue cheese. I've fixed it and will try to proofread my recipes better next time. Thanks for the nice comments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. All looks good... especially the cherry salad! Thanks for the recipes and linking to TMTT.

    ReplyDelete