Tuesday, June 23, 2009

Summertime and the Cookin' is Easy!


It's officially summer and we hit triple digit temperatures here in the Great Southwest yesterday!
That's right-102 degrees! I like summer, but I'm not fond of sweltering heat. I was thinking that summertime is the perfect time to use the crock pot; it makes meal preparation easy and once you get it ready in the morning, you're done. So I'm starting off today with my Aunt Sis' Crock Pot Casserole. She made this often and it was one of Uncle Dave's favorites, in fact, he mentioned it to me when I got her recipes. Uncle Dave is a man who loves good food, and I intend to make this dish when he comes to visit next!

Crock Pot Casserole
Ruth Ann Martin
(Aunt Sis)

2 large-sized potatoes, sliced
2-3 medium carrots, sliced

1 No. 2 can peas, well-drained
3 medium onions, sliced
1 1/2 lbs. lean ground beef, browned
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 10 oz. can tomato soup
1 10 oz. can water

Place layer of the vegetables in the order given. Season each layer with salt and pepper. Put the lightly-browned ground beef on top of the celery. Mix the tomato soup with the water and pour into the crock pot. Cover and cook on Low for 6 to 8 hours. (High 2 to 4 hours, stirring occasionally.) Makes 4 large servings.


Here's one of those vintage recipes that I bought at an Estate sale. It is on a yellowed card and is written in beautiful penmanship. It looks like it may have been her Mother-in-law's or passed to her by some other woman who was her senior. At the top, the owner wrote,"Excellent!"

Mrs. Beathe's Corn Bread

Hot oven!
1 C flour
2 C meal
2 eggs (if small, use 3)
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp soda

1/2 tsp baking powder
enough sour cream or buttermilk to make thin. Sugar to taste.


Bev, a friend from church in WV, gave me this recipe for a cool, ice cream dessert. She made it for a Longaberger Basket Party and everyone loved it. It's very rich, so you might want to cut it in small servings.

Bev Morgan's Lorna Doone Delight

Crumble 1 package of Lorna Doone cookies. Mix with 1 stick of melted margarine. Pat into a 9"x13" pan. Bake at 325 degrees for 10 min.

Mix together 2 small pkg. instant vanilla pudding and 2 C cold milk; add 1 qt. vanilla ice cream (softened). Pour over baked crust (when cooled).

Spread 1 (8 oz.) Cool Whip over the pudding/ice cream layer. (I think it's easier to spread if you refrigerate it a while first)
Top Cool Whip layer w/ crushed butterfinger candy bars. Keep dessert in refrigerator.

I will be participating in BlessedwithGrace and BalancingbeautyandBedlam's recipe swaps today!

1 comment:

  1. I love my crockpot. When we make meat it always comes out so tear apart tender.

    ReplyDelete