Friday, August 14, 2009

Green Bean-Cauliflower Platter


I was out running errands yesterday and trying to get organized for the first day of "back to school". I sorted clothes from Ben's closet to make room for the ones that he will actually wear and the clothes that still fit! Then, last night, I was unavailable to work on the blog, as well. It was a hectic day. Sorry if you missed me on here, I'll try to do better next Thursday.

Today's cookbook review is not very positive, I'm afraid. The title is Sunset Menu Cookbook from 1969, published by Lane magazine and Book Company. I found this book at a garage sale where a woman had really sorted out her collection; she was right to sort this one out!

I had high hopes for this old cookbook since I've always enjoyed the Ideals Magazine by Sunset. But, as I leafed through this large coffee table-sized book of menus for different occasions followed by the menu's recipes, my hopes were deflated. All photos are in black and white and that's probably for the best because most of the recipes did not sound appealing to me. There's a Tahitian Buffet and a menu for a Hungarian Soup Supper. Most of the ideas and recipes are not my style of cooking and did not seem practical for our family.

In all fairness, I can see where this book might be useful if you were a teacher covering the foods of other countries and wanted to have a menu that was authentic to each region. If you are a teacher looking for such a book this might be appropriate.

P. 77 Green Bean-Cauliflower Platter

1 med.-sized head of cauliflower
3/4 C water
about 1/4 tsp salt
dash of pepper
2 pkg. (10 oz. each) frozen whole green beans
Salt, pepper, butter to taste
Mustard sauce
Chopped chives

Place whole cauliflower in a pan and add the water; season w/ 1/4 tsp salt and dash of pepper. Cover; bring to a boil over medium heat, and cook for 10 to 15 minutes or until tender-crisp. In another pan, cook the beans according to pkg. directions. Season to taste w/ salt, pepper, and butter.
Just before serving, place hot, cooked cauliflower in center of a platter and arrange the hot, cooked beans around it. Cover the cauliflower with Mustard Sauce and sprinkle w/ chopped chives. Serves 8.

Mustard Sauce

Combine 1 C sour cream (at room temperature) with 1 TBSP lemon juice, 2 tsp prepared mustard, and 1/4 tsp salt.

I will be joining Grocerycartchallenge, DesignsbyGollum and Momtrends today.

No comments:

Post a Comment