Thursday, August 6, 2009

Sweet Onion Relish and Freezer Sweet Corn


Sorry that I missed blogging yesterday, but we were busy with a visit to the Pulmonologist for Ben's check-up before school starts. His breathing numbers were the best ever-95%! We had a good day.

Well, for today's recipes from my clippings drawer that you might want to try, I've chosen two that will help if you have a summer garden. One is from an Iowa farm wife that I believe I got out of an issue of Country Woman Magazine that someone passed along to me. She gives us her method for freezing fresh corn.


Freezer Sweet Corn
(Iowa farm wife-Country Woman Magazine?)

4 qt. fresh cut sweet corn (18 to 20 ears)
1 qt. hot water
2/3 C sugar
1/2 C butter or margarine
2 tsp salt

Combine all ingredients in large kettle; simmer for 5 to 7 min, stirring occasionally. Spoon into freezer bags or freezer containers. Place in freezer.
Makes 3 qt.

The second recipe today is for a relish...made with onions! Anything made with onions usually sounds good to me, so I'm anxious to try this one. I'm not sure where I got this recipe, but I've scribbled it on the back of a events calendar from our local library.

Sweet Onion Relish

10 lb. Vidalia onions, peeled and quartered
1/2 C salt
1 qt. vinegar
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp pickling spice
One 4 oz. jar chopped pimento
4 1/2 C sugar

Chop onions in food processor to yield 1 1/2 gal. Add salt and let stand for 30 min. Squeeze juice from onions and discard. Place onions in large pot; add vinegar. Place spices in cheesecloth or a tea ball. Add spice ball and sugar to vinegar. Bring mixture to a boil and simmer for 30 min.stirring often.

Spoon onions and sufficient liquid into canning jars which have been sterilized, leaving 1/2" head space. Process in hot water bath for 10 min. or use canner .


I will be participating in JoyofDessert's recipe swap today.

No comments:

Post a Comment