Friday, August 7, 2009

Roaster Oven Cookbook


While looking through the books on my shelf, I came across this old one that came out as a gift when you purchased the "new, innovative" roaster oven. (Mammam had a roaster just like the one in the picture and gave it to me after I was married.) I couldn't find a year listed in the Roaster Oven Cookbook, but it was published by Gramercy Publishers and the author is Nedda Anders. Its catalog number is 55-7527. The hardcover red book is 128 pages long and gives instructions on how to use a roaster oven, and shares its time and money-saving virtues.

In fact, here are some of the "special uses" given (p. 10) to use when your roaster is on anyway or it is still warm after it's been turned off:

1. Save celery tops or parsley, dry them in oven at 150 degrees.

2. To softened brown sugar that's gone hard, place in warm oven.

3. Make your own bread crumbs or croutons. Put stale bread into warm oven to crisp but not brown.

4. Warm coffee cakes, breads, pies for mealtime.

The instructional part of the book is less than exciting, but it does include some really good recipes. Happy book hunting! Today's sample recipe is from page 29.

p.29 Chinese Pepper Chicken

2 quartered boiling chickens
1 C water
1 clove of garlic, mashed
3 TBSP soy sauce
1 TBSP sugar
1 tsp salt
2 TBSP sherry wine
3 TBSP oil
2 sweet peppers, seeded and cut into 1" squares
4 green onions (scallions)cut into 1 " pieces
2 tsp celery seed

Wash and dry chicken. Combine water, garlic, soy sauce, sugar, salt and sherry in a flameproof 2-qt. cast iron casserole, and bring to a quick boil on a surface range(or use saucepan and pour into casserole.) Add chicken, cover and cook for 20 minutes, then place in preheated oven and bake for 30 minutes. Remove cover and add peppers, green onions and celery seed. Continue baking, uncovered for about 15 min. longer. Serve while greens are still crisp. Cooked rice is a fitting accompaniment.


I will be joining Momtrends, Grocerycartchallenge, LifeasMom and designsbyGollum for the recipe swaps today.

3 comments:

  1. Hi, Marcia....I have a roaster that I bought a few years back primarily to use on Christmas and Thanksgiving to roast extra turkeys or bake extra ham when we had a houseful. But I found out that I actually use it at other times of the year too. For instance, my daughter-in-law is always borrowing it when she makes her chili for a crowd. I've used it for informal get-togethers myself....it's great for keeping stews and soups for a crowd. Thanks for the tips on other ways to use it also.
    When you get time you may want to stop by my blog and pick up an award I've given you. Those I got it from suggest you turn around and give it to 15 others. Please feel free to take the award then do it anyway you want to. If 15 is more than you want to do, then do however many you want. Just enjoy! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks so much! Nice hearing from you, Elaine!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope you will come to Crock Pot Wednesdays at diningwithdebbie.blogspot.com this week. Mr. Linky is up and waiting for your entry

    ReplyDelete