Thursday, March 5, 2009

Spring Window Cleaning


It's supposed to be 95 degrees here today. It has been nice this week, but 95?! Wow! It makes me want to get outside and clean the lawn furniture and the windows. My windows look like windows in cars that have privacy tinting; because they are so dirty from winter weather, not because they are tinted. Here in Oklahoma, the wind, "comes sweepin' through the Plains" and throws the slush and dirt at your windows. I can't wait to get sunlight through them again.
As I get out my ladder and bucket, I'll arm myself with a squeegee and crumpled newspaper. In the bucket, I add dishwasher detergent (such as Cascade) and a little vinegar to the warm water. If you have the dishwasher detergent formula that already has rinse agent in it, you can skip the vinegar. As for the Cascade, "a little dab'll do it"; the main thing is to make sure that it's well-dissolved in the water.
I first rinse the window, using a garden hose with a pressure nozzle. Next, use a soft cloth and the warm water solution to wash the window; don't forget the corners. I then use the squeegee to remove excess water, working from top to bottom. The crumpled newspaper gives it the final shine.
I like to carry a bag with me as I move around the outside of the house from window to window so I can throw away the paper as I go. Also, I always take a large sport bottle filled with ice water; this is hot work, especially if you have very many windows. Good luck out there on those Spring projects; don't forget to cover yourself in sunscreen.

1 comment:

  1. I have been reading a lot of stuff about window cleaning, but it is different presented, i loved to read this. keep it up

    ReplyDelete