Tuesday, March 31, 2009

From My Recipe Box To Yours


My Tried and True Recipes today include three of our family's favorites that I make, and my grandmother's cornbread recipe. The only one that includes a more expensive ingredient is the Sirloin Tips and Noodles, the rest are low cost recipes (well, as low cost as you get these days-it seems everything at the grocery store continues to go up).
I'll begin with Mammam's recipe for cornbread:


My Mammam was a great cook who made most of her meals without consulting a recipe, so I actually have few written recipes from her. Some I have simply because I would ask her to recite to me how she made something, and I would write it down; in fact, one of the old recipes that I found was done in a childish scrawl (I might have been 10 or 11) and has pictures doodled around it...on the back of an envelope. She was a no-nonsense cook who's delicacies included: homemade noodles, light rolls, and a lemon meringue pie that would" knock your socks off"! At holidays she would come bearing noodles that she had been drying on her kitchen table a day ahead. She was a person with a big personality and an even bigger heart...and man, could she cook!



Mammam's (Lina Michael's) Cornbread


1 C flour
1 C cornmeal
1 tsp salt
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 1/2 C milk (approximately)
1/4 C sugar (I added this to the original recipe)

Mix dry ingredients together. Break one egg into mixture and add 2 TBSP melted Crisco shortening. Have your oven very hot (400?) Bake until crisp on top.


Here's a great kitchen tip that I just received in one of my Dad's informative e-mails: A wet tea towel is just the right size to put out an oil fire on the stove! If oil catches fire in a pot on the stove- turn off the fire, soak a tea towel in water and wring it out, then throw it over the top of the pot. This will immediately squelch the fire. Don't move the pan; and whatever you do, don't throw water on it!


Marcia's Spicy Rice and Sausage

1 Pkg. Jimmy Dean's sausage (original recipe)
1 jar Ragu Roasted Garlic Sauce
1/2 C chopped onions
1/2 C chopped green pepper
olive oil
Aborio rice (or any long grain rice)

Cook rice and fluff.

Sauce: In large skillet, drizzle olive oil. Add peppers and onions and cook until tender. Add sausage and cook until browned. Add jar of garlic sauce. Simmer for 5 min. Pour over rice. Serve with crusty French bread. This is one of our favorites, especially in the winter.




Crockpot Sirloin Tips and Noodles


1 can French onion soup
1 can beef broth
1 pkg. Lipton Onion Soup

Mix:
1 can water
1 lb. sirloin beef, cubed

1 C seasoned bread cubes (or crumbs)

Put everything except noodles in the crockpot and cook on low for 8 hours, stirring it once in a while.
Cook noodles.
Thicken gravy in crock with a little white sauce.
Pour meat and gravy over noodles.






Cinnamon Rolls in a Snap!
(got this one from Taste of Home magazine when it first came out)

4 1/2 C biscuit mix
1 1/3 C milk

Filling:
2 TBSP butter or margarine, softened
1/4 C sugar
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1/3 C raisins (optional)


Icing:
2 C confectioners' sugar
2 TBSP milk
2 TBSP butter or margarine, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract

Combine biscuit mix and milk. Turn onto a floured surface; knead 8-10 times. Roll the dough into a 12"-10" rectangle. Spread with butter. Combine sugar, cinnamon and raisins; sprinkle over butter. Roll up from a long side; pinsh seam to seal. Cut into 12 slices; place with cut side down on a large baking sheet. Bake at 450 degrees for 10-12 min. or until golden brown. Meanwhile, combine the icing ingredients; spread over rolls. Serve warm. Makes one dozen.


-Go to Blessedwithgrace for Tempt My Tummy Tuesday and more great recipe ideas! Also see Kitchen Tip Tuesday hosted by TammysRecipes.com

1 comment:

  1. I remember coming home from school and seeing noodles drying on the kitchen table. I haven't tried to make them yet but my mom finally gave me the recipe (method) for them. Thanks for sharing your family's favorites.

    ReplyDelete