Friday, March 13, 2009

This Cookbook Has a Winner of a Banana Bread Recipe!


Mountain Measures, A Collection of West Virginia Recipes is my book selection for today. It is a cookbook sold by the Junior League of Charleston in order to raise funds for their good deeds. My friend, Julie, gave me this cookbook as a gift, so I cherish it, even though she put some wise crack about,"finding me a New York cookbook" in the front of the cover; she's an adopted West Virginian! The book's copyright is dated 1974, and the copy that I have is part of it's seventh printing. The ISBN is 0-9606232-0-5 and Library of Congress Catalog No. is 75-316544.
I can tell you that this book has some "winner recipes"....just like West Virginia's basketball team!... who just recently BEAT PITT!! (Sorry, that slipped right off my computer keys. I'll now behave and continue the book review). Every time that I want to use up ripe bananas, I grab this book off the shelf. My kids grew up eating this banana bread, sometimes with nuts, sometimes without, but always delicious; I've never had it fail. It will be our sample recipe for today.
This book is attractive and will, "have you at 'hello'". The cover is a colorful quilt pattern called Sunshine and Shadows" which is a variation of the traditional log cabin design (for all you quilters out there).
I'm not blessed with sewing or quilting talent, so what was inside was most important to me. It has an abundance of recipes from both famous citizens and famous local cooks. You'll find Senator Robert Byrd's Cabbage Rolls, the late Dee Caperton's Edam Cheese Ball and Jay Rockefeller's Shirred Eggs along with the recipe for the Charleston Press Club's Meatballs and the Coconut Macaroons served at the Greenbrier. It includes plenty of traditional fare, such as Poke Greens, Biscuits and Cornbread Dressing. Of coarse, there are several recipes on fixing wild game, such as Potted Doves and Baked Deer Meat- since WV is known for great hunting and skillful hunters.
This cookbook is an interesting read, as well, because of the bits of history and the sepia-toned photos of covered bridges, elderly artisans, grist mills, and split rail fences. I think a lot of attention was given to detail, and I appreciate that when my home state is being presented. This book is well worth the hunt! My copy is from 1990, but I will provide the contact info from the front inside cover ...just in case: The Junior League of Charleston, P.O. Box 1924, Charleston, West Virginia, 25327 (at that time, the book was $9.95 per copy).



pg. 98- Banana Nut Bread

1/3 C shortening
1/2 C sugar
2 eggs
1 3/4 C sifted flour
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp soda
1 C mashed ripe banana
1/2 C chopped walnuts

Cream shortening and sugar; add eggs and beat well. Sift together dry ingredients. Add to the creamed mixture alternately with the bananas, blending well after each addition. Stir in nuts. Pour into well-greased 9 1/2"x 5"x3" loaf pan. Bake in 350 degree oven for 40-45 min. Test for doneness by inserting toothpick in the center. If it comes out clean, bread is done. Remove from pan and cool on rack.

Mrs. Robert W. Lawson,III


Enjoy lots of other recipes today on the recipe swap at Grocerycartchallenge.





1 comment:

  1. I love old junior league cookbooks. They have some of the best tried and true recipes. Thanks for stopping by my site!

    ReplyDelete