Tuesday, September 29, 2009

Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole


If you noticed, in my menu for the week I listed this hearty breakfast casserole. I don't know where I originally got the recipe, but I have tweaked it some by using turkey bacon and egg whites to make it lighter, or Hormel Bacon Bits to make it even quicker and more convenient. If Hormel made the bag of ready-to-use bacon bits from turkey bacon that would be the "best of both worlds"! This casserole can be made ahead and then popped into the oven when you're ready, or prepared in the crock pot. I'm sharing the crock pot version today.

Crock Pot Breakfast Casserole

12 eggs (or Egg Beaters, or just the whites)
One 32 oz. bag of frozen hash browns, partially thawed
1 lb. of bacon fried and crumbled into pieces (or turkey bacon, or Hormel Real Bacon Bits)
1/2 C diced onion
3/4 C shredded cheddar
1 C milk
1/2 tsp dry mustard
salt, and freshly-ground pepper

Layer this as if you were making lasagna; layer ingredients bottom to top:

1. hash browns
2. bacon
3. onions
4. cheese
5. Repeat layers

Beat eggs, milk, mustard, salt and pepper; Pour over all the layers. Cook on low for 10-12 hrs. (depending on your particular crock pot). Keep an eye on it and make it during the day the first time you make it; your crock pot might not take as long as the recipe calls for. Once you know how it goes, you can try putting it together at night for the next morning's breakfast.


I will be at these swaps today:
BlessedwithGrace
Gypsy'sCorner
Raising4GodlyMen
BalancingbeautyandBedlam

8 comments:

  1. This sounds sooooooooo yummy and anything in a crockpot is great ! I just wished my 2ds wasn't allergic to eggs. Thank you for joining TWT. I hope you join us next week.

    Blessings
    -Mary

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a GREAT!!! recipe. I can start this recipe the night before and like magic when we get up breakfast is done. My family like to eat breakfast on the weekends together, but for the next couple of months we won't be able too. My grand-daughters started soccer and Saturday morning it's get up and try to get everyone out the door on time. I think this breakfast will work for us. THANKS!!! Geri

    ReplyDelete
  3. thanks so much for this delicious sounding recipe and this fall when I make it you will feel the thank you love my kids share because I know they should love this

    ReplyDelete
  4. I would love for you to link up to Crock Pot Wednesday at diningwithdebbie.blogspot.com. Mister Linky is ready for your favorite slow cooker recipe. Your casserole would be perfect for that. Come check it out. Thanks. Debbie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sounds like a great idea! I made a breakfast casserole, but never in the crock pot! Thanks for the tips to cook during day, for the first time out and keep an eye on it. Thanks for the TMTT link up.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh boy that sounds good and filling too!! :) Great idea!

    Jes
    http://findingtrueserenity.wordpress.com/2009/09/27/homemade-pineapple-zucchini-bread/

    ReplyDelete
  7. The breakfast casserole looks great. My crowd would love that. Thanks for sharing!

    Donna
    www.mississippimama.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete