Thursday, September 24, 2009

Make Your Own Carmel Corn


Soon, it will be pecan season here in Oklahoma and Texas! So today I decided to pull a recipe that includes pecans from my messy "Try-It Box." This recipe is an easy and inexpensive way to make oodles of a great snack that is similar to the boxed ones at the store. One type is called Crunch and Munch, one is called Poppycock, and of course, the ever-popular Cracker Jacks (this won't have a little toy with it, though!)

Popcorn crunchiness with the chewy glaze and pecans, too, sounds like an unbeatable combination for a snack. I was thinking, if this recipe works out when I try it, I might put some in decorative tins for small Christmas gifts. I like to give something homemade for hostess gifts, too, if possible.

Here's the recipe:

Baked Carmel Corn

3 qt. popcorn
1/2 C chopped pecans
1/2 C butter or margarine
1 C firmly-packed brown sugar
1/4 C light corn syrup
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp vanilla extract

-Combine popcorn and pecans in lightly greased 15"x10"x1" jelly roll pan. Mix well and set aside.
- Melt butter over low heat in medium saucepan. Add brown sugar, corn syrup and salt; Bring to a boil for 5 min. without stirring. Remove from heat; stir in baking soda and vanilla.
-Pour syrup over popcorn; stir until coated. Bake at 300 degrees for 30 min.; stir after 15 min.
-Cool and break into pieces. Makes 9 cups.

Have a great Thursday and come back tomorrow when I review a cookbook that's all about CHEESECAKES! (One of my favorite desserts!)

I'll be at LifeasMom for the recipe swap.

1 comment:

  1. I definitely need to try this with the boys! They'll love it--we eat SO much popcorn in this house!! ;)

    ReplyDelete