Thursday, September 10, 2009

WV Pie Contest Winner


As I sorted through my box of scraps...er,uh...recipe clippings, I found an old newspaper clipping from years back that has the winning recipe from the WV Pie Contest. The recipe is for Rhubarb Pie and the winner that year was Hazel Varea of Lumberport, WV, who won $50 for best of show. The Annual WV Pie Contest is held every September at Jackson's Mill (I attended a state-wide 4-H conference there once to earn my 4-H Charting Pin.) It is a beautiful place to visit if you ever have the opportunity. Now, here's that prize-winning pie recipe that I promised:

Rhubarb Pie
Hazel Varea, Lumberport, WV

3 C rhubarb
1 1/4 C sugar
4 TBSP quick-cooking tapioca
2 TBSP flour

Mix ingredients together in a bowl until well-coated. Turn into pastry-lined 9" pie plate. Cover with top crust, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in top. Bake at 425 degrees for 10 minutes, then reduce temperature to 350 degrees for 50 minutes.

Have a great Thursday; Friday's on the way!

I'll be at LifeasMom today for the recipe swap.

1 comment:

  1. I love rhubarb pies, my family like strawberries and rhubarb together. THANKS!!! for the recipe. Geri

    ReplyDelete