Thursday, February 25, 2010

Baked Salmon and Macaroni


As I've already admitted, I bought another box of someone's "clippings drawer" and assorted cookbooks this past weekend at an estate auction. One of the paperback community cookbooks that I got in my box is from First Pentecostal Holiness Church in Apache, OK (from 1968). It must have been a favorite because it has lots of grease and food stains, and the cook has checked recipes with a pen. These are all great signs in an old cookbook; if the spine of the book has never been broken, she either didn't cook, stuck to a limited number of recipes, or it's not a great cook book.

I was happy to find a new recipe to try with some canned salmon that I have in my pantry. I found this really good canned salmon at Sam's Club over the holidays and need ways to use it. We've had it as Salmon Cakes twice and I want to try something else. Here's the recipe from page 59 (which has a grease stain!)


Baked Salmon and Macaroni
Mrs. Jim Palesano, Apache, Okla.

1 (1 lb.) can salmon
1/3 C butter or oleo
1/2 C flour
1 TBSP salt
1/4 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp paprika
3 1/2 C milk
2 TBSP grated onion
1/4 C chopped pimiento
8 oz. shell macaroni
1/2 C grated sharp cheese

Drain salmon and reserve liquid. Remove skin and bones from salmon (haven't found any in salmon from Sam's). Flake. Melt butter in a large saucepan. Blend in flour, salt, pepper and paprika. Add milk gradually, stirring constantly; cook until thickened. Add onion and pimiento. Cook macaroni in boiling, salted water until tender. Drain. Add macaroni, salmon and liquid to sauce. Turn into greased 2-qt. casserole. Top with cheese. Bake at 375 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until cheese is melted and brown. Yield: 4-6 servings.



I will be at these recipe swaps today:

LifeasMom
JoyofDesserts

3 comments:

  1. Aren't church cookbooks fun? I love them as well. Great recipe to stretch the salmon out a bit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great find to have a box full of these old church cookbooks. I have found some fantastic recipes from these kinds of cookbooks because the various women's reputations as cooks were on the line so they used their best recipes.

    Thank you for participating in Vintage Recipe Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe sounds delicious. And how fun, to buy boxes of old cookbooks and recipe clippings at an estate sale! I would just looooove to get my hands on something like that. Though then I might have to add on another room to my house to stash it all! Happy experimenting; bet you'll have lots of fun with your new recipes :)

    ReplyDelete