Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Best Banana Bread Ever!


I confess that I bought yet another box of cookbooks and recipes at an estate auction this past weekend (we won't dwell on this fact). While digging through the miscellaneous bits of this and that, I found that this particular home-cook had saved several issues of a cooking insert that used to be published by the local newspaper here. The insert was called "The Cook Book" by the Lawton Constitution Press. From looking at these booklets I can tell that they were done around a theme, for instance, one might be all dessert recipes, submitted by readers, another all bread recipes.

When we first moved to the area, The Constitution printed one such booklet for the holidays, and some of my recipes were included. These older publications, however, were done on a regular basis, because they are from various months of the year. I wish they still continued this practice; I enjoyed looking through these as much as the hard-bound cookbooks in the box!

I found, in the bread-themed Cook Book, a recipe for Quick Banana Bread submitted by Erma Cross. I happened to have 3 ripe bananas, and so, decided to venture away from my regular recipe. Well, we have a new favorite!! It has a moist, delicious flavor, and is dense with a coffee cake texture. I baked it yesterday morning and it has served as a warm, after-school snack, breakfast and as a to-go breakfast; it's almost gone! Thank you, Erma for your wonderful and easy recipe.


Quick Banana Bread
Erma Cross Lawton Constitution-Press Cook Book Aug. 2, 1984 (Page 15)

1/3 C vegetable oil (I used canola)
1 1/2 C mashed bananas (about 3 large ones)
1/2 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
2 1/3 C buttermilk baking mix (I used Bisquick)
1 C sugar
1/2 C chopped nuts, optional
(I sprinkled a liberal amount of cinnamon across the top)

Heat oven to 350 degrees; grease bottom of loaf pan. Combine all ingredients in large bowl; mix with a fork for 1 minute. Pour into prepared pan and bake for 55-65 minutes. Cool 1 minute and remove from pan.




I will be at these swaps today:

BlessedwithGrace
Gypsy'sCorner
BeautyandBedlam.com
Raising4Godlymen
Allthesmallstuff

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for sharing this over at CanadaGirls site (Raising 4 Godly Men); I used to have a wonderful BB recipe that was really dark and dense, but I've lost it. I'll have to give yours a try!

    Blessings,
    Lori
    PS: My TWT is posted over at http://www.homesteadblogger.com/serenityinthesuburbs

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just adore banana bread, and am getting ready to make some when my staff comes into the office next week. I just might need to use your recipe!

    Thanks for sharing with Tuesdays At The Table!

    ReplyDelete