Thursday, February 11, 2010

Strawberries in the Snow


Today's the day that I organize my clippings drawer! Since the holidays, it's gotten so messy. I riffle through it looking for something, and then toss a pile of recipes in the drawer when I'm doing a quick clean-up of the kitchen...you get the idea. It's like a catch-all drawer, except it's all recipes.

When I was pilfering through the drawer this week, I found us a great winter strawberry recipe to try. It's a unique winter recipe because it uses frozen strawberries. This time of year, the strawberries in the store just don't measure-up on the taste scale. They are like the plastic-tasting winter tomatoes! You bite into the fruit and there's no strawberry flavor. It won't be long until the ripe, flavorful strawberries are available, but for now, frozen are best.

This clipping looks like it came from an old Southern Living Magazine because it gives us the home cook's name and where she's from.


Luscious Strawberry Salad
Mrs. I.D. Stone, Gadsden, Alabama

2 (3 oz.) packages strawberry-flavored gelatin
1 1/2 C boiling water
1 1/2 (10 oz.) packages frozen strawberries
1 (8 1/4 oz.) can crushed pineapple
1/2 C chopped pecans
1 C sour cream

Dissolve gelatin in boiling water. Add strawberries and fold gently. Chill until slightly congealed. Add pineapple and chopped nuts. Pour half the mixture into an oiled 9-inch square pan; chill slightly. Fold sour cream into remaining gelatin mixture and pour into the pan of partially-set gelatin. Chill until firmly set. Yield: 12 servings.


***Remember! Friday is always my Old Cookbook Review day!***

I'll be at these swaps today:

LifeasMom
JoyofDesserts

4 comments:

  1. Mmmm, strawberries sound tasty right now. I can't wait for spring!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oooh... sounds wonderful. I love strawberries, but like you, won't buy the flavorless winter time ones. Frozen berries are always full of flavor, but they turn to mush when thawed. This is the perfect solution!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for participating in Vintage Recipe Thursday at Joy of Desserts.

    Love recipes from Southern Living.

    ReplyDelete