Wednesday, February 3, 2010

My Healthier Version of Black Forest Cake


As I said the other day, we had an ice storm here on Thursday. It was both a blessing and a curse for everyone to be stranded here for the long weekend. We love being together and having "down time", but we are all involved in this new "healthy eating attempt" and it goes better when we have school and work to occupy us; less recreational eating in front of the TV and during card games! On top of the "snacking-avoidance challenge", there is less opportunity for activity when you can't get out of your house. By day 3 of our ice-induced cocooning, I felt we needed a dessert, so I tweaked a family favorite to make it healthier. (My hope now is that nobody in "The Guys' Club" bothers to read my blog today.)

Marcia's Healthier Version of Black Forest Cake

1 Devil's Food Cake Mix, according to directions except for these substitutions:
1/2 C non-sweetened applesauce instead of the 1/2 C oil
2 eggs (Eggland's Best) instead of 3 eggs
Bake in a Bundt pan sprayed with baking spray

When the cake comes out of the oven, cool it , in the pan, for 5 minutes and then loosen edges with a butter knife. Invert cake onto cake plate to remain cooling. When it is completely cooled, use a bread knife to slice it across the middle, horizontally. Lay top of cake onto sheet of waxed paper. Mix up the filling.

Filling:
1 pkg. of non-fat cream cheese
1/2 C powdered sugar
1/2 carton of Light Cool Whip

Mix together with an electric hand mixer until smooth. Spread the mixture in an even layer on the cake. Replace the cake top. Slice and place it on dessert plates. Top with a spoonful of chilled, sugar-free cherry pie filling.




I will be at these recipe swaps today:
WeareThatfamily
KellytheKitchenKop


***What I love to watch on TV tonight: "The Middle" It's a new comedy with Patricia Heaton (the mom from Everybody Loves Raymond). The casting director for this new comedy was spot-on! This is my new favorite show; I hope it survives!***

2 comments:

  1. So my favorite hobby with this pregnancy has been to see how many calories I can consume in one day.
    YOu would be amazed at my success.
    So maybe this way, I can have my cake and eat it too? I just cannot seem to get enough chocolate.
    I am having Give Aways for the whole month of February. Come check it out at http://teachingmoneytokids.blogspot.com
    Staci

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chocolate is my weakness, too, whether pregnant or not! Thanks for visiting!

    ReplyDelete