Friday, February 5, 2010

My Favorite Chocolate Recipes by Forrest Gump


Forrest Gump, of movie fame, is sharing his mama's best chocolate dessert recipes with us in today's cookbook. If you saw the movie, you already know that, "Mama always said, 'Life is like a box of chocolates...you never know what you're gonna get'".

I'll admit that this book is a little on the corny side, but if you're a fan of the movie, you'll overlook that...like I did. The recipes for all-things-chocolate are just great! There are Forrest Gump sayings all through the book, but you could just look at the recipes if you don't need any pearls of wisdom from "Mama". My Favorite Chocolate Recipes by Forrest Gump is a thin cookbook of 108 pages, but I didn't see one "clunker" of a recipe in the whole thing! I thought the truffle recipes looked especially enticing as a treat for Valentine's Day, which is coming up. If you want to hunt for this book, it was published by Oxmoor House in 1995, and its ISBN is 0-8487-1487-3. Oxmoor also published The Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. Cookbook, but unfortunately, I haven't found that cookbook, yet. Here's our sample recipe:


Page 53 'Bama Bittersweet Truffles

1/2 C butter or margarine
3/4 C cocoa
1 (14 oz.) can sweetened condensed milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
Cocoa

Melt butter in a heavy saucepan over low heat; Stir in 3/4 C cocoa. Gradually add condensed milk, stirring constantly, until thickened and smooth (about 3 minutes). Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Pour mixture into a lightly greased 8-inch square pan. Cover and chill 3 hours or until firm.

Shape mixture into 1 1/4 inch balls; roll in additional cocoa. Place balls in miniature paper baking cups. Store in an airtight container in the refrigerator up to 1 week. Yield: 3 dozen.


I'll be at these swaps:

LifeasMom
DesignsbyGollum
Grocerycartchallenge
Momtrends
AnnKroeker.wordpress.com

2 comments:

  1. I've never made truffles with sweetened condensed milk, but I could practically drink the stuff straight out of the can so I'm sure these are really good.

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete