Tuesday, February 2, 2010

Homemade Pizza Dough


I made homemade pizza for dinner last night. I used a recipe from a friend's mom that I got years ago (in college). Julie Jenkins and I shared an apartment during our senior year of college. We met and became friends through Economics 101 class. We are still the best of friends to this day. She and her husband, George, are coming to visit us this spring, and I can't wait! Maybe I'll make "Mom's" Pizza while they're here.

Julie's mom, Karen, is a wonderful cook and Julie shared some of the recipes that her mom had given to her, with me! This recipe for pizza dough is a keeper; so easy! I've decided that it's cheaper and better than the loaves of store-bought, frozen bread dough that I've used for pizza before.


Karen Jenkin's Pizza Dough
Long Island, N.Y.

1 pkg. dry yeast
1 C warm water
Dissolve the yeast in the warm water and then add:

1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
2 TBSP oil (I like olive oil)
2 1/2 C flour

Add ingredients while mixing by hand. When dough is mixed, oil the outside of the dough ball, place back in bowl, cover with waxed paper or a tea towel, and set it in warm place to rise. Let dough rise for 20 min.(double in size). Stretch dough out onto well-greased cookie sheet or pizza pan. Bake for 16 min. at 400 degrees (check to see if bottom is brown). Before final baking, layer pizza sauce, cheese and toppings. Stick it bask in the oven until cheese melts and turns golden.



I'll be at these recipe swaps today:
BlessedwithGrace
Gypsy'scorner
BalancingBeautyandBedlam.com
Raising4Godlymen
Allthesmallstuff

4 comments:

  1. I've been looking for a good homemade pizza dough recipe. Boboli just doesn't cut it!! Can't wait to try it. Thanks for sharing.

    Lisa

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is my exact recipe, and I use olive oil too - small world. Nothing makes the house smell as good as a bowl full of rising dough!

    :)
    ButterYum

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sounds similar to my dough recipe. I like using olive oil too. Love homemade pizza...yum!

    Jane

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks easy, I love homemade pizza!

    ReplyDelete