Thursday, February 4, 2010

Pickled Okra Salsa


I hate okra! It's one of the few vegetables that brings out the 4-year-old in me. I don't want it to even touch my tongue 'cause it's slimey. Yes, okra devotees, I have tried it fixed different ways (battered and fried, and stewed with tomatoes). They say that your tastes change over time; I like spinach now, but as a child I would sit at the table in a stalemate of wills, staring at a spoonful of spinach. Maybe I'll try okra again sometime...when I'm 80 and having a good day. I certainly don't want to include it if I'm having a bad day, and there's any hope of it being my last...don't want to go to "meet my Maker" with a sour look on my face!

Even though okra isn't on my favorites list, lots of people do enjoy it. It is a staple on restaurant menus in Oklahoma and Texas, and I've been offered others' garden bounty of okra in the past 5 summers (Thanks, but No Thanks!). So, when I found this clipping for salsa made of okra, I thought that some of you okra fans might like it for your Super Bowl nachos this weekend. Why was this one of my clippings you ask...hey, I write a blog and I'm looking for ways for all of you to use up that nasty okra...I don't need it!



I think this clipping is from a Southern Living magazine:

Pickled Okra Salsa

5 whole pickled okra, sliced
1/2 C chopped sweet onion
4 tsp chopped fresh cilantro
1 tsp fresh lime juice
1/4 tsp salt
1/8 tsp freshly ground pepper
1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes with mild green chiles, drained

-Pulse first 6 ingredients and half of tomatoes in a food processor 4 to 6 times or until thoroughly combined. Stir in remaining diced tomatoes. Serve immediately, or cover and chill. Store in refrigerator up to 7 days. If refrigerated, let stand at room temperature 15 min. before serving.


I will be at these recipe swaps today:

LifeasMom
JoyofDesserts

1 comment:

  1. I've had okra a couple of times, and I'm with you, it was NOT a pleasant experience. Some Southerners rave so much about it though, that I hope to come across a better okra dish one day.

    ReplyDelete