Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Baked Bean Sandwiches from 1946

When we were little, My brother, Greg, and I would eat some weird sandwich combinations. During those summer days of  the 1960's we enjoyed carefree play outside with portable lunches. I remember loving ketchup or Kraft Sandwich Spread (it had pickle relish in it). My younger brother's tastes leaned toward mustard or mayonnaise. He went through a phase, once he figured out that I had a weak stomach and could be really "grossed-out," where he made "sardine sandwiches". My stomach would absolutely churn as he would eat a "culinary mess" between two slices of bread-sardines, peanut butter, jelly, ketchup, mayonnaise, cheese, mustard...uuggghhh! Little brothers! He usually performed this stunt when we were staying overnight at Mammam and Pap's (our paternal grandparents') house. Even though he was a pest, he was my partner in crime and best buddy. Between grabbing snacks, we would play out in the sun, imitate "Batman and Robin" (our favorite TV show) in two of Mammam's bath towels and twirl on the spinning part of the swing set while singing the Batman theme song. That's right...we were those tough, living-on the-edge kids from the 60's: playing outside all day; eating ketchup sandwiches, riding with the car windows down and scooping bugs out of Mammam's rain barrel.

When I spotted this recipe for Baked Bean Sandwiches in a cookbook from 1946, it reminded me of my childhood when simple ingredients constituted a sandwich filling. These would be a good source of protein and fiber, and sound yummy to me.

Baked Bean Sandwiches

1 lb. can baked beans
3 strips crisp bacon, crumbled
2 TBSP tomato catsup
3 TBSP pickle relish
16 slices whole wheat bread

Mash baked beans until smooth. Blend in catsup and relish. Spread 3 TBSP filing on each of 8 slices of bread. Scatter crumbled bacon over each.; top with the other slices of bread.

I will be at these blogs today for their recipe swaps:
-Wearethatfamily
-Diningwithdebbie
-Turningtheclockback
-Kingscourt4
-Krazykitchen
-Kellythekitchenkop

3 comments:

  1. Yum! Sounds different and delicious. Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great! Thanks for stopping by What's Cooking Wednesday! See you next week :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love old cookbooks!

    Thanks for linking up to What's Cooking Wednesday! Hope to see you again next week!

    Diane
    www.turning-the-clock-back.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete