Tuesday, October 5, 2010

My Version of Cranberry (Apple) Cobbler

As I mentioned in my first blog post back (Friday) after my summer break, our family had some exciting changes this summer. My husband accepted a great opportunity to work with a Chamber in Texas; Son #1 moved into his own place and continues his work at the University ; Son #2 began work as a grad assistant as he pursues his Masters Degree in Tulsa; Son #3 got his learner's permit and entered a new high school (more on that later; high school ain't what it used to be! Amazing, just amazing!); and in the midst of all this-we traveled back to West Virginia to see family for 2 weeks (yes, we are crazy). Now that you've heard how I spent my break, it is easy to see why it was a challenge to fit in my cookbook quest to auctions and yard sales; thrift stores and used- book stores are easier and more accessible when you are limited on time.
So get ready, this fall and winter you will be subjected to hearing about my adventures in the great state of Texas! (Hey, did you see that Texas/OU game last Saturday?!....still an OU fan :-) I plan to cheer for Texas when they play other teams.

Enough about my busy summer. Here's a wonderful Fall recipe for cobbler. The original was just for a cranberry cobbler, but after I had it on one of my husband's business trips to The Greenbrier (in WV...you've got to go eat there before you die!) I realized that apples make it better, and if you want to really break your diet in style, add a simple vanilla glaze to the top. Serve it warm!

Happy Tuesday to all!


Cranberry (Apple) Cobbler

1 lb. fresh cranberries
1 1/2 C sugar, divided
3/4 C walnuts, chopped (if you're lucky enough to be in WV-use Black Walnuts)
2 eggs
1 C self-rising flour
1/2 C butter or margarine, melted
1 can apple pie filling

Rinse berries and place in rectangular baking pan, uncooked. Sprinkle with 1/2 c sugar and nuts.Dump can of apple pie filling on top and spread evenly. Mix together all remaining ingredients. Pour evenly over all. Bake in a preheated oven at 325 degrees for about an hour. When it is just warm (not hot) out of the oven, drizzle glaze over the top.

Glaze :

1/2 stick butter
confectioner's sugar
1/2 tsp pure vanilla
a little warm water
Beat to glaze consistency.

I will be at these joining these great blogs today; join us to find some great recipes!

-Blessed with Grace
-Gypsy's Corner
-Balancing Beauty and Bedlam
-All The Small Stuff

2 comments:

  1. Yummy! We love cobbler and it is the time of year for apples and cranberries.
    Thank you for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sound like a winner!! I'd love for you to stop by What's Cooking Wednesday today and share one of your recipes! We host it each week too! Hope to see you there :)

    http://thekingscourt4.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete