Thursday, October 21, 2010

Carmel Corn

Here's a very-yellowed and crumpled recipe that I found stuck in the Nebraska Farmer Cookbook from 1946 (which I plan to review tomorrow). With the cool Fall weather and football games on TV, I thought a popcorn snack might be a good choice for today. Enjoy!


Caramel Corn

2 C brown sugar
2 sticks margarine
1/2 C white syrup
vanilla
1/2 tsp baking soda
14 C popped corn (I'd throw in some peanuts, too!)

Place popped corn in a shallow pan. Mix all ingredients in heavy sauce pan except flavoring. Bring to a boil for 5 minutes. Remove from heat and add vanilla and 1/2 tsp baking soda. Stir through and pour over popcorn. Bake 1 hour in 250 degree oven stirring every 10 or 15 minutes to coat corn.

I will be at these recipe swaps today:

-LifeasMom.com
JoyofDesserts

3 comments:

  1. Great snack for the teens too. I'm like you, I would add some nuts, and I'd also substitute with real butter.
    Thanks for participating in Vintage Recipe Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Nebraska Farmer is a magazine and is still being published. They do have some recipes and I also found quilt patterns they have for mail order in some of the magazines. They have an on line site where you can read old copies. Just Google Nebraska Farmer

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Sarah! I appreciate your info. My best to your "other half", too!

    ReplyDelete