Thursday, October 14, 2010

Chicken-Green Noodle Casserole Freezes Well

I love spinach noodles. In fact, when I pick up the tri-colored rotini that I use for my pasta salad at the store, I try to get the box with the most green pasta! So, imagine my excitement when I found this old clipping from a Southern Living Casserole book (1987). How great it is to find a chicken casserole made with spinach noodles! They're trendsetters there at Southern Living!


Chicken-Green Noodle Casserole

One 3 1/2 lb. chicken
1 C chopped green pepper
1 C chopped onion
1 C chopped celery
1/2 C butter or margarine, melted
1/2 lb. American Cheese, cut into cubes
1 (6 oz. can) sliced mushrooms
1 (10 3/4 oz.) can cream of mushroom soup
1 C cheese crackers, (like Cheez Nips) crushed

Cook chicken; reserve stock. Remove cooled chicken from bones and cut into bite-size pieces. Saute green pepper, celery and onion in butter until tender. Add cheese and stir gently until melted. Add mushrooms and chicken, blending well. Stir in soup and mix well.
Boil spinach noodles in chicken stock. Drain and combine with chicken mixture. Place in a greased 2- qt. casserole dish, and top with crushed cheese crackers. Cool; seal and freeze. To serve, thaw and heat. Yield: 8 servings.

I'll be joining LifeasMom and Aroundmyfamilytable today for their recipe and tip swaps!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds great! My DD will love this recipe! Thanks for linking up to Tip Day Thursday at Around My Family Table. Hope to see you again this week.

    ReplyDelete