Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Old Treasured Recipes from P.C. H.S. Concession Stand

In the small town where I grew up there were around 3500 people, and if it was a "home game" on any Friday night in Fall many of the townsfolk were at the football field to cheer for the Wildcat football team and championship marching band (can you tell that I was a "band baby"?) It was a great chance to support the local kids, see your neighbors and friends, and buy amazing concession stand hotdogs!

I guess all the wonderful food offered at the Texas State Fair yesterday has me in a concession-stand-food kinda mood! So, today I'm going to share two of the very special recipes that I've had for years. The first is chili that the P.T.A. served on hotdogs (for school fundraisers) and the second is the Paden City Band Patrons' Football Concession Stand Hotdog Sauce (my favorite because it is meatless). Go Wildcats!

P.T.A. Hotdog Chili (fills 250 hotdogs)

4 lbs. ground beef
1/2 C minced onion
3/8 C sugar
1 pkg. dry chili mix
2 qt. tomato sauce
1 qt. tomato juice
2 qt. pizza sauce
1/2 tsp chili powder
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp seasoned salt
1 tsp garlic salt
1/2 tsp celery salt
1 green pepper (cut in thin strips)

Brown meat; drain fat off. Add remaining ingredients and simmer for 2 hours. Stir occasionally. Freezes well!


Paden City Band Patrons' Hot Dog Sauce
(Mary Jo Price)

1 gal. ketchup
3 large cans tomato juice
3 large cans tomato paste
10 lb. onions, chopped fine
2 lb. brown sugar (or to taste)
a few drops of Tabasco Sauce
3 TBSP chili powder
1 TBSP dry mustard

Put tomato juice and onions on stove and cook down for 1 hour. Add the rest of the ingredients. Divide recipe by 1/3 for home use. (This recipe was popular, and sold on hotdogs to raise money for the Paden City Band Patrons back in the 60's and 70's.)

**Book I'm reading now: The Help by Kathryn Stockett (great recommendation by my sister, Becky!)**

I will be at these great recipe swaps today:
-Blessedwithgrace
-Thewell
Gypsy'scorner
-Balancingbeautyandbedlam
-Allthesmallstuff

2 comments:

  1. Great recipes!

    I'm celebrating my 3 year blogiversary this week. I'd love for you to come by and enter my follower giveaway. The prize pack includes a Presto Cool Touch Griddle!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hannah,
    I'm thrilled to have a new follower. Don't be shy, I love comments, suggestions, recipes!

    ReplyDelete