Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Soft Raisin Cookies

When I was cleaning out a storage cabinet in my laundry room last week, I found an old (think '50's red and white metal) recipe file that I bought at an auction years ago when I was first married. The recipes in the tin box were ancient back then...that's why I bought it. This week I'm dusting it off and sharing recipes with you. Grab an iced tea and pull up a chair at the kitchen table. Here's our first old recipe from the box.

Soft Raisin Cookies

3 1/4 C flour
3 eggs
1 1/2 C sugar
1 C butter
1 C milk
2 tsp grated lemon peel
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp vanilla extract
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 C dark seedless raisins
1/2 C chopped walnuts

Early in the day or up to 2 weeks before serving:
Into large bowl, measure all ingredients, except raisins and nuts. Beat with electric mixer on low until just mixed; increase speed to medium and beat 2 minutes, occasionally scraping bowl. Stir in raisins and walnuts until well-blended.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Drop by heaping TBSPfuls about 2 inches apart, on greased cookie sheets. Bake 12-15 minutes until lightly browned around edges. With pancake turner, remove cookies to wire racks to cool completely. Store cookies in tightly-covered container. Makes about 2 1/2 dozen.

***If you're in the Dallas-Ft. Worth area, check out the Lone Star Antiques Mall in Keller. It's one of my favorite places to look for treasures. Hubby took me there on Sunday afternoon as a treat! (and...yes, I found 2 more old cookbooks!... Alright?!)***

I will be at these swaps today:
-Fudgeripple
-Gypsyscorner
-BeautyandBedlam
-Allthesmallstuff
WhoisDrLaura.com
33shadesofgreen

3 comments:

  1. one of my favorite types of cookies the softer the better

    ReplyDelete
  2. how much fun to find treasures and then to find them again ;) these cookies remind me of something my grandma used to make for us. thank you for sharing with tuesday night supper club.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow - how fun that you found all those old recipes. You must be having a good time looking through them. Thanks so much for linking up to Tasty Tuesdays!
    Alissa

    ReplyDelete